Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Observations & Influences

I've been at my new abode nearly a month, getting used to the new rhythms of the place, figuring out what familiar routines still apply and establishing the necessary new ones. Am I tired of unpacking? Am I tired of cleaning? Am I tired of deciding what goes where? Am I tired of sore muscles? Yes, all of the above. Am I through with all that? No, not yet. Still the studio to unpack and set up as well as a few more "living room" boxes harboring stereo equipment and china. In fact, just today I finally found the box hiding a table lamp, candles and coasters. Been looking, looking, looking for all three - no wonder I couldn't find them; the box was labeled "LR/hall pictures, some china." Thanks guys, for the cryptic description. It was an excellent box to find today.


As I suspected would happen, I've been enticed by the surrounding scenery, spending a great deal of time mindlessly staring off into space. At the same time, I note that my powers of observation are returning, that way of looking at nature I detailed in this post. I've just about quit the involuntary gasp whenever I go outside and catch sight of the mountains. Yet there are still times when I catch my breath at the sight of clouds bumping up against the mountain tops or the reflection of light off the lake. I've started taking a lot of pictures again for reference, although a few of the spectacular cloud formations caught me without camera on my person. As so often in the past, I have no idea how I will use these images, how these new influences will effect my art.

In fact, one of my questions and concerns before leaving Wisconsin was, how will the change in scenery effect my work? Those birches definitely influenced the use of curves in my work, I think. And I seemed to always see them against a dark background. Well, I tend to work dark anyway, so I was very surprised to find myself thinking within days of arriving, I don't want to work with a dark palette anymore. This thought came as I watched the light sparkling off the lake and all the colors before me were pale and grayed. Mmmm.



As I walk the bike trail, my general sense is that everything is more upright and straight here. The quaking asp which are the closest thing to my birches do not have the gently curving trunks.


Even the firs stand straight and stiff.


And here is some grass that is definitely more upright than the grass along the road in Wisconsin.


So does that mean I'll be working more with straight lines, that I'll lose my interest in curves? I think not, because my predominant view is this:


The undulating mountain range, I think, has taken the place of my gently curving birch trees. But I bet I work with straight angled lines as well. Here is a view from the bike trail that combines both upright straight and curving lines:



1 comment:

Deb Geyer said...

Beautiful photos! And interesting thoughts. Thanks for sharing!