Monday, March 19, 2007

More Birches - New Texture


"You should not be able to go from home to work without passing through a forest." Finnish architect and designer Alvar Aalto

On my way to the exhibit last weekend, I caught a flash of white out of the corner of my eye as I passed through a small town. I quick turned my head and saw these four birches. Not able to pull over to take a longer look, I promised myself I'd do it on the way home. Turns out that these are in front of the post office and there are four more evenly spaced birches on the adjacent side. To think I was worried about leaving my muse back in Wisconsin! Luckily, I had my camera with me (I usually don't but really should get in the habit). I took a bunch of pictures from many angles, up close and faraway. As if I didn't have enough reference pictures of birches, but you never know.


I was focusing on the shapes and textures in the trunks, so at first missed the fact that some of them were reflected in the windows.





























My fascination is with this texture. My Wisconsin birches (see example here) had arrow head shapes in the trunks.

No comments: