Friday, July 06, 2007

Heat Wave

I'm without air-conditioning for the first time in years. I've been managing pretty well keeping the house fairly comfortable by closing it up during the day with shades drawn, running fans when it starts to warm, then opening everything up in the evening when it cools off. The inside thermometer fluctuates between 70 and 81. Outside it's been breezy, a hint of coolness coming off the lake, but still, it is hot - too hot to open up the house.

At 4:15 I went to the kitchen for a glass of water, looked out the window to see what my thermometer was reading and got a shock. Yikes! This is in the shade, on the backside of the house where it is coolest, where in spite of local official temp readings in the 90's, my little thermometer hasn't been up much higher than 83.

No wonder I was sweating...

No comments: