Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Learning Curve


Today is America's birthday: potato salad, barbecues, fireworks...

But first, I decided to treat today like a bonus day. That's what I used to do when I had a 9 to 5 job. That extra day off was an opportunity to do something special. And since I haven't exactly been nose-to-the-grindstone lately in the studio, I decided to use my bonus day to learn more about my new machine while finishing up Willow II.

I've been trying out bindings for several weeks now, so today I decided it was time to make up my mind. It took me awhile to figure out why my favorite choices weren't working. All that busy quilting required a quiet binding, and I'd been looking at ones with lots going on in them. Yellow was tempting but pulled the eye away from the leaves. Brown didn't look right with the grey background. But this dull green batik was just the ticket. I didn't want to give up totally on the yellow though, so incorporated it in a narrow piping. Zing! I like it very much.

And I'm liking my machine very much too. Today I learned to wind a bobbin. Then I tried out my walking foot which led to learning how to override the automatic presser foot tension. To be honest, I'm a knobs and dials kind of person, so to have to press menu buttons to access set-up options mildly irritates me, but I'll get used to it. The recommended settings for the walking foot worked like a dream. I'm in love!

No comments: