Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Moose Alert!


I've seen plenty of footy prints and other signs that moose have been ambling about the property, but have failed to actual see any until this morning. I was on the phone when this big thing passed by my bedroom window. By the time I raced to retrieve a camera, said moose had ambled to the end of the driveway. Checking traffic, it decided not to cross the highway, but took off along the fence down toward the slough. Whew - how exciting!


I resumed my conversation, only to find myself Oh-My-God-ing once more as another moose ambled by. This must be the mate to the first. He also didn't care for the traffic and came back up the driveway, across the yard and over to the mountain ash to browse.




In the process, he stepped through the flower bed along the foundation of the house, sinking a hoof a good 6 inches into the muddy ground and narrowly missing this daffodil shoot. Eventually, he ambled off across the field.


I finished my conversation and was about ready to head outside with the dog when, yet again, a moose passed by the bedroom window. Ah - the mate that had headed toward the slough was back and looking for Mr. Moose. When I was sure they were good and gone, we checked it all out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do we know that's not Jesse iin a moose suit?

Pat said...

How delightful! I've been watching old "Northern Exposure" episodes, and delight in the moose that walks through the town. What a magnificent animal!

Anonymous said...

awesome! Almost makes living with all that white stuff look worth it ...

Françoise said...

Beautiful!
Have you got black bears as well?