Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Arts & Crafts Influences


I am quite a fan of the Arts and Crafts movement, and have just finished reading The Arts and Crafts Movement in the Pacific Northwest. The picture above comes from that book and is from a 1901 printing of Tennyson's The Lady of Shalott. The beautiful graphics are the work of Will Ransom. The intertwining elements look both Celtic and Art Nouveau to my eye, graceful and interesting. If you are familiar with Suzanne Marshall's work, you can see where she gets much of her inspiration.

1 comment:

Cate Rose said...

I'm a huge A & C person myself, have many books about the movement and it has been a big influence on my art over the years.
Incidentally, I have several years' of Style 1900 magazines that I'd like to sell. If you're interested in more info, email me.
Have a terrific day!
Connie