Monday, September 12, 2011

Another Birthday Block


My nephew's birthday is Sunday, so it's time for another block for the Freedom Quilt. This pattern is from J. Michelle Watts' The Quilted Cross book and is called Celtic Cross. I've made it before in its original 15 inch size, but I only need a 12 inch block. Since the pattern in the book is not full-size to begin with, it wasn't much of a trick to enlarge it only as big as I needed. I took the quick way out, fusing all the pieces in place rather than hand or machine appliqueing. I plan to stitch along the edges of the applique during the quilting process. This is block 15 which means I am 3/4 of the way through this project. After the 20th block, all the blocks will be returned to me and I will have a year to arrange them into a finished top and quilt it for presentation on his 21st birthday.

The gold pieces are slightly smaller than the openings in the black piece, so the background shows through a little bit like grouting. I love the way this turned out. It's been so long since I've worked in the studio at all, this felt really good - even though I originally had planned a pieced block and was looking forward to the hum of the sewing machine.

No comments: