Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy Dual Holiday!


Happy St. Patrick's Day - how are you celebrating? I've decided to try my hand at making some Reuben sandwiches a little later. I love Reubens but I've never made them at home. I do however bake bread, although I haven't for awhile, so decided to bake up some rye bread. I'm trying a recipe on the rye flour package which is different from what I usually make - it has onions added to the batter. This is the first rising which is promising. It has completed the second rising and is now baking, sending forth a wonderful aroma. The recipe was very detailed until it got to the part about forming loaves or rolls and what to put them on. After consulting several other recipes, I opted for a single round loaf in a cake pan which may have been a mistake. By the looks of that second rise, I probably should have made 2 round loaves on cookie sheets. Oh well - I'm sure it will taste just fine and work for my sandwiches.


And Happy National Quilting Day! The third Saturday in March is designated as such - what special quilting have you been doing today? Are you working on something green? ;-) When I belonged to a traditional quilt guild, I often organized a work day for my quilting sisters so we could work on charity quilts. Some years we ended up doing demos at the local mall. More commonly now I just sew at home and that is what I did today. Actually, I would have sat enjoying hand quilting on Masks today whether or not it was National Quilting Day. It is coming along nicely.

Hope you have found fun and safe ways to celebrate both of these Saturday holidays.

1 comment:

Sherrie Spangler said...

Not fair! You're tempting us with stories of home-baked bread and we can't have any! I celebrated quilting day by embroidering my wonky circle blocks.