Thursday, March 08, 2012

Limited but a little progress


Oh, I gotta tell ya, I DO love my Epson Workforce 1100. It never ceases to amaze me how sharp and distinct the images printed on fabric are. In this case, I am using some treated fabric I took off June's hands as she divests herself of her textile holdings. Once upon a time she had a large format printer that could take 24" wide rolls of paper-backed fabric. My printer only takes up to 13" wide, and I can't mount a roll anyway, but I can sure custom cut from June's roll to fit my needs. It is so nice to have the fabric already adhered to paper so it feeds nicely through the printer. This is a cotton sateen - June originally thought it silk, then realized it wasn't, but I decided to go for it anyway. I'm glad I did. I expected it to be thin and slithery like cotton sateen I've gotten through quilt stores, but this is a bit heftier and very stable - probably because of it's coating to work with inkjet printers. Now all I have to do is decide which of the different versions I printed off to use, and whether I need to back it with anything to keep seam lines in the background from showing. And then how to arrange them. And sew them down. And what other stitching to do. It's been another busy and erratic week and I found myself totally paralyzed yesterday when I finally found time for the studio. Today got away from me as well. Tomorrow must be a really intense studio day. MUST!

One of the things diverting my attention from the studio this week was a trip out to the bank where I will be showing my work starting in April. This is one of POAC's ancillary galleries small enough to show one artist at a time. Yes, a solo show of sorts. I wish I had more new work for it, but I'm guessing most of the bank's clientele will not have seen some of my older work, and if they have, they may enjoy seeing it again. I took some reference photos and measurements and did a rough sketch of the layout so I can start figuring out what will go where, and just how many pieces I will need. The photographer who is showing there now has hung thirteen identically sized and framed pieces. Mine will look quite different because they will be all different sizes.


This is the first space customers see as they enter - a cubicle open to the windows fronting the branch. I've already identified a piece I can hang there that won't be effected by the amount of light it will get during its 10 week stay.


Opposite that wall there's a bit of space next to those front windows which is actually pretty protected from light. I have the option to hang something there as the photographer did. Unless it's a bright piece, people leaving probably would not notice something in that space.


There are two identical cubicles back of the first one with two adjacent walls for art. These are very protected from natural light and sun.


Across from these is the manager's "office" which is a much brighter space. Just the one wall and it doesn't get any direct sunlight.

This will be a challenge to pull together cohesive groupings, but I've already thought of some on the theme of Pairings: One thing leads to another.


1 comment:

June said...

So glad the sateen is working out well for you and you are enjoying the printing.

Hanging work in a bank is a hoot. It just tickles me to think of art side-by-side with money. And I actually think second views of art are more important than first ones -- although clearly you have to have the first to have the second. Most people notice more the second time 'round and appreciate the work more. So you are doing well.

Sorry I'm so slow and behind these days. It's been a long winter and seems to continue even if the calendar (and other parts of the country) disagree. But I keep reading even if I don't respond.