Friday, September 14, 2012

More Mayo Clinic Art

A couple of weeks ago, I ended up exploring a different part of the clinic subway system that took me under the Plummer Building. There I found more art displayed in a special "friends of Mayo" room. One of the St John's Bibles was displayed, a project dear to me because it has a page in memory of a friend of mine. One of the problems with displaying a book like this is that you can only have it open to one page. I was so interested to see that many pages had been photographed and were playing on a video loop right above the Bible. This is a very contemporary translation with very contemporary art specifically designed to accompany the hand calligraphied text.


Click on the picture above to read about the project or go to their website here.



Other art donated by patrons or the artists themselves is displayed in this area of the subway. I was particularly drawn to this display of turned wood objects by Rude Osolnik, considered to be one of the fathers of contemporary wood turning in America. I love bowls and vases like this that use the wood as is, often incorporating "flaws" into the design. Click on the photo to read more about him.





Hard to pick a favorite, but if I had to, it would probably be the bowl in the second picture down. Fascinated by the rings.



Also in this part of the subway is this lounge area under the dome I showed when we first arrived. It took me a long time to figure out where it was underground, didn't it?


And just because I haven't had anywhere else to stick it in, here is another statue in one of the little parks near the Eisenberg building. Children in flight.

No comments: