Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Shaking Off That Bad Feeling

I don't want you to worry too much about me after that last post. After publishing it, I went right downstairs to where I have my Zentangling supplies and worked on another ZIA in the button book. It was like cleansing the palette and calmed me right down. I started with the above pre-stamped page and another idea from the Zentangle people. They had blogged here about a photo of the inside of a beautiful Italian building and how the unique architecture gave them an idea. Banded columns could become the bones of a design with which to tangle within.


I'd been thinking architecture when I stamped this page, so I drew lines on either side of the stamps to turn them into columns, then added two horizontal bands to tie them together. The open areas were then filled with various tangles and shaded. Do you get a little feel for a wall that changes direction at each column? Or perhaps the space between columns are not walls at all, but open like a bell tower with netting keeping you from falling out.

I shared a quotation in the comment section of the last post, by the way, that made me feel better about my little travesty with the art journal. In case you didn't see it, I share it here, because it is a good thing to keep in mind as we work at our craft:

"Creativity is allowing oneself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep."

-- Scott Adams, cartoonist

2 comments:

Cate Rose said...

Wow, your tangling is looking awesome!

Christine Staver said...

You have me really interested to do some zentangles. Love what you do with them. Glad you are putting your journal experience behind you.