Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Found My Stitch

I've completed all the decorative stitching on the covers of all 9 padfolios in progress - whew! Taking my cue from the batik lining of the first one in line, I took a big breath and started stitching what I hoped would look similar to the ferns on that batik. The thread color worked wonderfully and I found myself slipping into a familiar rhythm - not exactly the ferns but something I realized I'd used before with success. However, I can't remember where that was! Needless to say, it was delightful to find an old comfortable friend that required no marking, second guessing, stress. I used it on another cover, but the thread I chose quilted much darker than I anticipated - subtle it is not! I'm hoping the satin stitching around the outside in the same or similar color with pull it all together. Right now it sorta looks like I used the wrong color, even though those colors are in the cover fabric.


But even though I "found my stitch", the other covers led me back to the successful leaves of the first ones I did. Two with maple leaves arranged along the flow of the colors in the cover fabric, one with the big oak leaves draping across the back, front and flap. I am pleased. Now it's on to fusing on the linings and glue basting pockets in place.

6 comments:

Lucia Sasaki said...

Dear Sheila, thanks for updating!
It is always good to get news from you.
Congratulations, your pictures are so beautiful and I am happy that you "find your stitch".
It is wonderful when we work without second guesses, I think that the work goes faster and we are happier.
Thanks for sharing!!

The Inside Stori said...

Hurrah!!!

Christine Staver said...

Wow you really made progress after you found your groove. Beautiful stitching...

Amanda said...

It's great when you slip into the groove. They look fab.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Thanks everyone! If you only knew what a love/hate relationship I have with any freemotion stitching. I struggled with it for so many years that even after mastering some aspects to my satisfaction, my brain still won't believe I'll do well. So yes, when muscle memory takes over and I relax into it, to my negative brain's surprise, it IS a great feeling!

Michele Matucheski said...

Very nice threadwork, My Friend!