Wednesday, July 20, 2016

More ArtWalk from the Bank - The Painters

Time to move to the upper floors of Columbia Bank to view the other artists represented there. This post focuses on paintings that caught my eye. I start with one of my favorite local artists, Ed Robinson. Ed's wife Karen is the professional artist in the family, but Ed as well as his son are accomplished artists as well. Ed's day job is with the Dept of Natural Resources I believe, at least some agency where he gets to spend time out in nature. He generally paints landscapes that include water, and he has become a master at rendering realistic rocks under water. This painting is a bit out of his norm, a scene along the Pend Oreille Trail along the lake that I started walking last year. I think its peacefulness and simplicity is what caught my eye and held it. Because it is under glass, this is the only angle I could get without massive reflections. Click on any photo for a larger view.

Multnomah Falls by Ed Robinson

Detail of Multonmah Falls

This one of Multnomah Falls in Oregon is also a bit atypical for him, but nicely done as well.


Another watercolorist, Jeanine Asche, chose a subject close to my heart - autumn leaves. See the red dot? I believe she is the only artist at the bank to have sold a piece of art. I could certainly see why.


Randy Wilhelm teaches art and graphic design at the high school here. My sense from viewing his entries in POAC exhibits over the years is that he's always pushing himself, playing with different media or substrates or subject matter. I'm not normally drawn to this kind of subject matter, but oh, those colors! They made me take a closer look, and while I presumed it was another watercolor, it is instead done with ink and dye. Love the look.


This pair of oil paintings are by Leona Fox (click on the photo to read her artist statement or here to see more of her work). They are rich and reflective and capture a tiny bit of Round Lake, another place I've hiked along.


Lastly, a few acrylic paintings. Peggy Tessema Compton had several in this long narrow format that I found particularly compelling. It works especially well with cranes in flight I think and are larger than the photo would imply. Her colors are rich as well.


And this one by Bruce Duykers, "Shot the Moon". I stood before it for a long time, finding myself gently pulled into it, then pulling back out to see more. This was quite large, a painting to get lost in.

There's one more group to show you, ones working with less often seen materials and with a definitely different take or subject matter. They are sort of in a league of their own and most enjoyable to happen upon in the midst of so much "typical" artwork.  

No comments: