Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Art Group ArtWalking

From my perch on the 3rd tier - check-in station for artists at Columbia Bank
Early on, my art group realized our June meeting would be problematic from the standpoint of many members not having work to share or ask questions about. Most of us participate in the annual ArtWalk and would have just completed the big push to finish art which would now be hanging around town.

I can also see Meg's Moon in the corner on the main floor. She didn't get much traffic.

And because these ArtWalk participating members spend opening night tied to their location, they would not have had the opportunity yet to do the rounds of the many ArtWalk venues. So one enterprising member suggested we use our June meeting to go on a field trip so to speak, and do the ArtWalk together, including viewing our group's representation around town. Great idea and we've been doing that every year since.

Former art group member Cheryl and current member Robin

I didn't take many photos of other artists' work this year, either on the night of the reception or the following Tuesday with the art group. I'd noticed along the adjacent wall from where my work hung another fiber artist and went over to see who it was. It was Cheryl who used to participate in our group but now mostly concentrates on the art scene in the next town over which is closer to where she lives. She's found a gallery that loves her work and sells quite a bit of it for her. Lucky Cheryl!


This is what she had on display, a real variety of styles and techniques. The fiber portrait is of her parents who had mixed emotions about it. I look too wrinkly, said mom. I look like I have measles, said dad. Oh well, who DOES like pictures of themselves? But we all agreed Cheryl did a good job with a difficult kind of quilt art.

Photos on canvas by Christina Taylor

Just down from Cheryl's art were two large canvases that one couldn't help but notice. The poppies looked untouched but the barn had interesting photo manipulation. I liked both.


I'll let the artist, Christina Taylor, explain herself. Click on the photo for a readable size.

Vickie Edward's art quilts at ArtWorks Gallery

On field trip day, we started at the bank, viewing all floors. Meg and I were the only ones from our group exhibiting there, so we moved on to the locations of the other members. Vickie was at two locations, including Art Works Gallery where her work hangs year round. I was very impressed with her grouping there. Some of these we had seen in progress while others we hadn't seen at all. There was a counter between me and her art, otherwise I would have taken more individual and closer shots.

Off Centered by Vickie Edwards

I used my telephoto feature to zoom in on this piece. The simple geometric design and colors really appeal to me. I also took note of the quilting done in a way my regimented mind might not think of. I stay within and without shapes; Vickie quilted as if they weren't there.

Member Terrie had many quilts hanging in the hallways of the Music Conservatory - their first year participating in ArtWalk. Because Terrie teaches and designs patterns, she works in a wide range of styles from traditional to contemporary to art, and this space gave her room to show off her many sides. I can't believe I failed to get a single photo though, even though I spent much time studying one of her oval shaped art quilts, "Spring Bouquet", trying to suss out just how she did it.

We hit quite a few other locations - no photos forthcoming - noting how some styles fit perfectly with their location more so than others, and running across a few artists working in usual techniques, like the oil painter adding three-dimensional elements. But what we didn't see were red dots. Little art selling this year during the opening receptions.

Near the end of our ArtWalking tour, I made a small purchase at one of the ArtWalk venue businesses. I noticed the clerk slipping a small piece of paper into my bag. Once outside, I looked to see what it was. Why, it was a quotation, and a perfect one to end this day of viewing art, and also reminded me of my mother who had this gift:

Vision is the art of seeing the invisible.
Jonathan Swift  

I've always felt one has to have a vision in order to be successful at most things, and the best artists have the knack of seeing the invisible and making it more visible to the rest of us. Thank goodness for artists and their vision!

2 comments:

Sherrie Spangler said...

What a great idea for your June meeting! And I assume a stop for lunch or coffee was included?

The Idaho Beauty said...

Well, I did mention lunch as an option but the others all had commitments to rush off to so didn't take me up on it. Yeah, a little disappointing, but we did have a great couple of hours together roaming the streets.