Tuesday, October 24, 2017

An Autumn Overachiever

That's a 12 inch ruler at the top
It's been windy the last few days so I've stayed away from the park on my walks. There's a big stand of cottonwoods at the end of it, all golden and beautiful and for the most part, holding on to their leaves. But not all of them, I discovered yesterday when I ventured back into the park as I enjoyed the crisp but sunny day. Holy Cow!!! I had no idea cottonwood trees could produce such huge leaves.


Now you all know I've sworn off bringing home colorful leaves, but really, do you blame me? If nothing else, I needed a picture and I didn't have a camera with me. The leaf picking is addictive though, and as you see, some smaller versions also came home along with a few really small (by comparison) aspen leaves and one leaf that is still pretty green. All these strewn together on the path skirting that stand of trees.

And I have a mind to do something with them, although my first guilty thoughts were to just take pics and toss them. I like that fan arrangement of the big ones. I'm wondering about using them for sun printing or some other kind of printing. I've layered the smallest ones between sheets of that paper I made not long ago, wondering if any of the pigment with bleed into it as they dry under weights. The big ones have been flattened as best I could (they were quite ruffly around the tops) and also are under weights. No harm in that, right? Let the imagination percolate a bit, right? Fall IS my favorite season, no doubt about it. So much so that the poem below sent me on my own flights of fancy.

"Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns."
from The Writings of George Eliot, vol. 23 (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1908)
 

2 comments:

Lucia Sasaki said...

Dear Sheila, thanks for your postings, they always inspire me...
About Autumn... I went to England in my vacation time this year to study English and holidaying and I chose Autumn because I always wanted to see the trees yellowing. I stayed in Manchester for 2 weeks and had trips to Haworth (to visit Bronte Parsonage Museum), Hawkshead (to visit Beatrix Potter Gallery) and Liverpool (to visit The Beatles Statue and the Pier). After I went to London to visit more museums and bookshops.
All in Autumn...

The Idaho Beauty said...

Lucia, goodness, what a wonderful vacation for you! I'm a tiny bit envious about the places you were able to visit and happy that the autumn leaves cooperated. People in the states often try to travel to New England which is supposed to always have spectacular colors in autumn but sometimes it is difficult to time your visit right and one might arrive before or after peak color. I had no reason to travel for autumn color this year. It was one of our very best!

Looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing more about your trip over on your blog.