Sunday, October 15, 2017

Another Week of #INKtober Shoes

A friend who follows me on Facebook as well as here asked yesterday if my shoe collection ever ends. Eventually it will, but at the moment, it doesn't look like that will happen before the end of the month. I'm noticing trends, themes, and buying habits that are not confined to shoes alone.







And although I had hoped to get quicker with my sketching as time went on, I only appear to be taking more time. I can't stop adding in details - the more I look, the more I see. Actually, it's eating into the time I might otherwise spend at the machine. I'm not minding that too much (it's another story I'll share later), but it does influence which shoe I choose each day, trying to go for the simpler ones in hopes I'll finish sooner and have time for the studio. So far, not happening. And there's one shoe in particular I keep putting off drawing because of all its detail. My days get away from me somehow, but I still manage to get a shoe or pair of shoes sketched each of them.

4 comments:

Françoise said...

Love your series of shoes drawings. And it's true you've got an impressive collection of shoes! ( larger thann mine I think)

The Inside Stori said...

Well, I for one am glad you are taking the time for shoe drawings……they are so detailed, realistic, & yes, just so fascinating! Well done.

Christine Staver said...

Your shoe sketches are really good. I don't have that many shoes. And I don't have any heels! I was done with heels after I broke my foot. Your skating has become quite good!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Belated thanks, everyone! I'm so glad that you are enjoying the shoes. Françoise, I keep thinking I hope I don't come off looking like a mini-version of Imelda Marcos! I think the only reason I have this kind of "collection" is because I find it so difficult to get rid of shoes, even if they are obviously worn out. I get emotionally attached for some odd reason, and like so many other things I hang onto, I always think I'll be glad I hung onto a pair sometime down the road.

Chris, it didn't take a broken foot for me to ditch a lot of my high heels once I quit working. I had several sitting jobs over the years that made it easier to put up with them for the way they looked with the dresses I was also wearing. But as I aged, my feet began to complain more and anything above about an inch and a half I just can't tolerate. Life has gotten very casual in general, partly because of where I live now, so the opportunity to really dress up rarely presents itself. When it does, my few lower heels are plenty fancy enough.

Mary, I'm glad you find these sketches fascinating. The more I sketch, the more fascinating I find my shoes too, and I can't help but try to capture all the detail. So much for quick sketches!