Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Idaho Beauty Begins


I have been toying with the idea of starting a blog in the hopes that it will help me focus, stay on track, pinpoint what works and what doesn't work as I explore how to better get these ideas in my head interpreted in my preferred medium of textiles, quilts in particular. I know that journaling has helped me in the past; sticking with it (and my art) without accountability to someone else is what I find difficult. Since I have no partner in crime at the moment, perhaps commitment to a blog and its readers will provide the incentive that I need.

On the other hand, blogging may be just another form of procrastination, of getting out of "doing the work" as Michael James so pointedly puts it. Well, if I have nothing but words to show for my efforts, this experiment will have failed. But if it actually shames me into playing with ideas and finding answers to keep me moving forward, then it will be well worth my time, and maybe even yours.

My goal is to post at least once a week, preferably with pictures of my progress, to chronicle my creative journey. Hopefully I will be inspired to post more often. In the meantime, let me explain the "Idaho Beauty" moniker. I'm a traditionalist at heart, and when I moved from my native Idaho to the Midwest, I searched for a quilt block that might refer to my home state. There it was, "Idaho Beauty" and I've been using it ever since.

No comments: