Friday, October 03, 2008

Art at Holy Spirit

Mosaic by JP Carver

Tomorrow is the opening of the art exhibit at my church. If you happen to be in the area, please stop by!

The Artists of Holy Spirit Episcopal Church, Hwy 2, Dover, ID

Sheila Mahanke Barnes, Art Quilts
Geoffrey Cant, Photography
JP Carver, Mosaic
Elise Creed, Oils & Watercolor
Richard Creed, Woodworking
Maureen Hackworthy, Watercolors
Michelle Rohrer, Jewelry, Photography & Watercolors
Susan Wall, Watercolors

Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Sunday, 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Today we hung the exhibit after a bit of moving and cleaning up of remodeling debris. We thought the sanctuary remodel would be complete by now, but unforeseen circumstances have halted things for the moment. Oh, well - excuse our mess!

Two walls are mostly ok. I let the watercolor/oils artists use them and decide how to hang their work. I would have done it a bit differently, but they had their own ideas and I wasn't about to take over.


I was worried about having enough art to fill the space, but I needn't have. It's really spaced much closer together than I'd like in order to get everything in, and I actually had a smaller space for my work than I anticipated. I took the new unpainted sheet-rocked wall - lovely, isn't it - and stacked some of the work to get it to fit. Not the way I'd originally planned, and I probably could have shifted things to make them look a bit better, but we were pressed for time.


I wish I'd had another one of these backdrops to hang on the wall I used, but since I didn't, I felt it was more important for my photographer to have it behind his work. This area is not totally set up in this picture. The round table will have notecards and other small items for sale while the table under the photographs will have samples of photos which people can order reprints of. This allowed him to offer more variety without the cost of framing up a bunch of pieces that might not sell. Plus, it turned out we wouldn't have had room for them.


One of the watercolor artists had quite a few very small pieces at impulse-buying price points. So they got displayed on this secondary altar. This wall used to have a quasi-stage on it. We've ripped that out which is why you see wood trimmings that don't seem to make sense and cutouts in the wall near the floor.


This was indeed a challenging space to work with, the fluorescent lighting drives me nuts, and we really have too much art hanging. Plus we had to be mindful that there would be services held in this room, and not do anything that would require major shuffling to have that happen. But this was our first go at it, and if we do it again, I will limit the number of pieces each artist may submit. Plus surely the remodel will be done by then... Click on any picture for a larger view.

No comments: