Thursday, March 29, 2018

Warning: Bridge Construction Ahead

I am pleased to announce that both my taxes and my bridge slice are done, and well ahead of their deadlines! After a bit more cogitation on how to construct my bridge, I started with perhaps the simplest part - the road bed - which could be done with a single strip of fabric. I'd noticed as I studied the reference photo that the bridge metal was picking up a yellowish tone, was not grey as I'd thought. I'd been auditioning grey fabric and threads but nothing was showing up well on both the dark mountain fabric and the lighter sky fabric. But yellow or gold, that was working on both really well. I cut the strip wider than necessary, pinned it in place along the lines I'd traced on the back of the foundation muslin and stitched with invisible thread.


Then I carefully trimmed close to the stitching to remove the excess fabric. Step one of bridge construction done!


Then it was on to the girders and guy-wires. Again, I worked from the back, stitching along my marks with grey thread, first the parts closer to the viewer, then after filling in those spaces on the front, stitching the ones farther away to maintain the overlapping occurring.


Now I had guidelines on the front for the threadwork that would form the narrow girders. I used two different colors of Superior Twist trilobal polysester thread threaded through a single needle to get the effect I was after. It took 3 to 4 passes of straight stitch rows right next to each other to fill the space between the grey thread outlines.


This got very fussy when I went back in to stitch the lines falling "behind" the already stitched ones. Not sure I was thinking clearly when I came up with the sequence. Many short lines, lots of threads overall having to be pulled to the back and tied off. And in the end, I'm not sure one can tell that there was no crossing over of sections in the foreground. And since I was using a straight stitch and not a satin stitch, and sewing through two layers, I didn't think there'd be an issue with pulling up. But there was. I really should have used some kind of stabilizer underneath, but thought I couldn't because of my guidelines on the back. Surely it will quilt out, right? I have since found out about Terial Magic which would have been a perfect solution for the stitching I did on this. I'm definitely getting some to try out. Are any of my readers familiar with this product?


Ahhhh, I'm done! Whoops - no I'm not! There's still a reflection to deal with. I was given the option to let the quilter put in the reflection as I guess she is doing for some of the others, but I'd already spent a lot of time thinking about how this could be done, and being stubborn, I wanted to try out the idea I came up with of using netting because, unlike other sheer fabric I was considering, it will not ravel. I inherited a lot of sheers from my late friend Judi, so pulled out her bin and started through it, finding this black netting with gold threads running through it. I decided it was darn near perfect and proceeded sewing it down in a way that can be easily reversed should the other slice participants over-rule me.


I approached this the same as the roadbed - pinning a big square of the netting over the reflection area on the front and stitching the outlines from the back with invisible thread, following the pencil tracings. The darker lines were stitched prior to pinning on the netting, and in grey thread because I wanted them to show. They are guy-wires. There were a few more but I chose to ignore them.


Once everything was stitched, the excess netting was carefully cut away. And I DO mean carefully because that invisible thread was indeed invisible to my eye.  I should note that I used the wrong side of this netting because the sheen off those gold threads on the right side was a bit much visually.


After the first removal, I went back in with curved scissors to clean things up, getting right up to the stitching, then added the line of metallic gold thread replicating a narrow part of girder reflection and a line of black poly and grey/orange Twist on the opposite side, the reflection of the cable running along the bottom of the bridge.


NOW I'm done, and quite pleased with the result. I've cropped the final photo to approximate the actual finished size of my slice (we were asked to leave a very generous allowance around all sides). And so that you have a reference, below is the photo of the Cobban Bridge that we are using as our inspiration. Read more about the bridge itself and efforts to save it plus watch a drone's eye view of it here. Can't wait to see what the other gals have done and how our quilter pulls it all together.

Historic Cobban Bridge - Chippewa County, WI
 

7 comments:

Cate Rose said...

Beautiful, and quote impressive!

Françoise said...

It's interesting to see how you first work from the back side to follow the design lines. So you're using invisible thread in the bobbin, right?
(I've never heard about this Terial Magic product.)
I'm curious to see the whole quilt together.

The Inside Stori said...

YEAH!!! Your interpretation is masterful…..nicely done, esp. the netting reflection…..which worked so well. As far as Terial Magic……I’ll never use it again…….this expensive produce is adverstised not to leave marks or gunk on the fabric or iron….that sure wasn’t my experience, I got a mess both times I tried it…...

Mary D said...

Brilliant work of art. Terial Magic is very interesting, will look into that for my applique.

Anonymous said...

The black netting for the reflection is perfect! I, too, would be stubborn & want to do it myself! Are you familiar with the lightweight iron-on stabilizer Misty Fuse? Would that have kept your fabric from pulling up? On another note, we were happy to be able to spend last weekend at quilt retreat in Wyoming with 'our' Idaho transplant friend! Jan in WY

Christine Staver said...

Looks wonderful. Very creative with the reflection! I never would have thought of that, but I will keep it in mind in case I need it in the future. Also thanks for the heads up on the unstabilized straight stitch. I never would have thought stabilizing would have been necessary either.
Chris

The Idaho Beauty said...

Thank you, everyone! And now some answers to your questions:

Francoise, yes, invisible thread top and bottom. I know many people say you can't use it in the bobbin, but I've never had any trouble with it in my Viking machines. You do have to go slow though when winding onto the bobbin and keep your eye on it.

Jan, yes, I am very familiar with Misty Fuse and not a fan (have ranted about it several times on the blog!) although there are times when I have defaulted to it. Not sure it would have helped very much as I've experienced distortion stitching over applique fused with products that are firmer than Misty Fuse - again, a surprise (and why am I just now remembering that experience???) Anyway, I didn't want to use any fusible in this piece - my grand experiment. But thanks for the suggestion. And my art group can't wait to hear about your retreat from our mutual member. ;-)

Thanks too to Mary for sharing her experience with Terial. I read several reviews all raving about the product but did read one where the woman suggested letting the fabric dry long than the 15 minutes suggested in the directions. Just too damp still, she said, which gave her grief while trying to iron, a lot of sticking she said until she let the fabric dry quite a bit longer. Wonder if that was the issue you ran into. One of my art group members thinks she has a bottle of it hiding somewhere in her stuff (she moved to our area a little over a year ago and still hasn't unpacked everything - I can relate!) so I'm guessing we'll be trying it out soon. Either that or one of us won't be able to resist any longer and buy some, willing to be the guinea pig. I keep wondering, could it be any worse than starch which I've always struggled with?