Thursday, August 15, 2019

Loose Ends

For a long time now my life has felt like so many loose ends needing to be tied up. I never seem to get on top of all the undone things and good intentions. I began to think of all this as one long and very frayed loose end and this image came to mind. So I sketched it out in pencil and added text and doodles. Somehow, putting down on paper like this made me feel a little better, like all those things that need doing or that I want to do were more contained. A little like how I feel about making lists - getting things out of my head so I don't brood on them so much.

"Sit and Rotate" sketching assignment - 5-1/2 x 7 in.

And because I have so many loose ends in my life, when one gets tied up, I get pretty excited! What a sense of accomplishment to finally finish my "sit and rotate" assignment from a Sketchbook Skool class from several years ago. I'm really pleased with the way this concertina version of my messy office came out, doing a bit of happy dance!







Here's the front and back of the book stretched out. I started my pencil sketching with my desk with the computer screen on it, there at the middle fold because the desk is a corner desk, then worked right and then left of it.



I did coloring and adding of details in no particular order, some of it even before finishing the sketching on the back, using Pigma Micron 01 pen, Pitt brush pens and Prismacolor colored pencils. I had to keep reminding myself I didn't need to add every single thing, but I often got caught up in capturing minutia and working hard to match colors accurately. But I have to admit, by the time I got to the home stretch on the back and those closet doors, I was pretty relieved that there was so little to draw!

I tied up another loose end this week, which I'll share in the next post. Yes, it's been a pretty good feel good week.

 

2 comments:

The Inside Stori said...

I’m in AWE!!!!!

Christine Staver said...

All I can say is WOW to all your sketches. I love the tree idea to work out all the loose ends.