Saturday, January 18, 2020

Winter Arrived

View from my deck
Last weekend it snowed nearly non-stop, from Friday morning until Sunday night. Only 5 inches on Friday, but more like 9 on Saturday and Sunday I lost count, checking before shoveling the walk that there was about 4 inches, one hour later another inch and by Monday morning another 4 or 5 inches.

This decorative fir of about 5 ft succumbed to the weight of the snow

I think it is safe to say that we got around 24 inches in all. So thankful my rent now includes plowing of my driveway - and the piles on either side are getting pretty high!


It's was cold most of last week as well, this being our high when I took these pictures. Overnight it was in the teens and the windchills dropped things even lower. I got out my chin to ankle down coat for my walk on Wednesday.

The apartments at the end of my street the day I ventured on a walk

And it has continued to snow, pretty much each day, if only a little or sometimes 4 or 5 inches. I took advantage of a break in storms yesterday to make a grocery run and was a bit surprised to see the main roads were still compact snow in spite of plowing and sanding. That will change as we are due for a slight warm-up this coming week.


You'd think I'd have spent a lot of time in the studio but not so. I've been watching daily updates to the Dakar Rally which is a 12 day event. I've been running out periodically to clear the snow off the satellite dish and my short walkway to the front door. I've been catching up on a little reading.


One day last week, I had a "GO" plan that was to start with some stamping. I spent nearly all my allotted time searching for the stamps which ended up being pretty much right in front of me. Definitely time to get a handle on the mess which no longer inspires but impedes creativity. The next day I set aside more time and had barely gotten started when my brother called. He'd had to beg off our weekly chat during his lunch break at work, promising to call again which I thought would be the next day's lunch break. But his wife is out of town so he called after work from home, allowing us a lot longer to share stories. So enjoyable but there went my studio time. Yesterday I had better luck, once the grocery run was out of the way, and I will soon have pictures to share of my dabbling. In the meantime, enjoy the pictures of my snow!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So THAT'S where our snow is! We haven't had any to speak of in weeks! Our dogs are rolling in the dried grass, then coming inside covered in thatch. I know...be careful what I wish for, right?! Our fiber art group's monthly challenge is stitch meditation--hand sewing anything that's nearby without a plan for at least 15-20 minutes for several days. A 4" piece is suggested & I've seen a couple a friend was doing at retreat last weekend that are really interesting. I think I'll get started as I gaze out the window at the sea of brown grass in the yard & field! Jan in WY

Sherrie Spangler said...

You're living in a winter wonderland! We had a few inches last Tuesday, then it's been raining ever since.

Michele Matucheski said...

Looks like the Snow Queen visited your part of the country! Mine too. I love it!

The Inside Stori said...

Beautiful but happy we are enjoying a very mild winter…..so far…but any day w/o snow is a good day! Staying inside and stamping is a very good plan……eliminates the risk of falling in poor outside conditions. Falling…that seems to be the key word for so many of my pals….most in the 70’s and all worry about this aging risk!