Friday, January 15, 2021

A Project To Finish


My goddaughter had her baby the day after Christmas so now I feel free to really get going on a quilt for the little boy named Jesse Charm (yes, I'm somewhat superstitious about making a quilt before a baby actually arrives). This isn't starting a new project, in case you might think I'm deviating from my resolution word "finish"), since I'd chosen a design and started working out the size of its pieces a few months ago. I'd not wanted to make my version as large as the Kaffe Strip quilt that had caught my eye, but as I sized it down, the rectangles went from 2 inches plus seam allowance wide to 1-3/4 and then 1-1/2 plus seam allowance wide. Oh how I just wanted to cut 2-1/2" wide strips and subcut to various lengths, remembering how fussy the cutting of the narrow pieces for this baby's sibling's quilt was and how long it took to sew them all together. I was losing my enthusiasm for sure. And then not long ago I had a thought, could see it in my head. What if I didn't make the pieces smaller, just used fewer of them resulting in the same basic design? You can see what I mean looking at the picture above, the dark line outlining one configuration that would give a quilt measuring approximately 30 x 49.


But I think I like this one better and by moving the side lines out a bit, it gives me a better width at 38 inches. Actually I could do the same thing on the first one. It just seems to give a better balance as well as a better width. I could also eliminate the partial blocks and replace those areas with more background fabric. All while giving myself fewer pieces to cut and sew. What always amazes me though is how long I have to let things sit and my mind aimlessly mull things over to, out of the blue, come up with what suddenly seem obvious answers that will make my life easier.

Which version do you prefer? I'm leaning toward green(s) for the background and whatever from my stash looks good with it/them. I still have some cutting dimensions to work out and a design wall with no room to work on, so there's still time for mulling.

6 comments:

Vivian said...

It's funny how inspiration/problem resolution works. Mine usually come when I awake from sleep. Must be something about a relaxed mind that helps the process.

Kathleen Loomis said...

I vote for the second one. I like the four center lozenges making a diamond. But as I keep looking, I like it because it's a better proportion, not as skinny as the first one. If you add "border" fabric to the first to make it a bit wider I would probably like them equally.

And what a good idea to make fewer pieces rather than smaller!! Proves that it's often better to think about it for a while rather than just start cutting. good luck!

Michele Matucheski said...

Sounds like you have a perfect plan! Go with the 2-1/2 inch strips.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you just have to let things work themselves out in your subconscious! I vote for the second one--I like the organization of the blocks. Stay well! Jan in WY

The Inside Stori said...

Such a better solution to scale down a pattern than reducing the size of the patches. I like option 1

Christine Staver said...

I like the second one as well.