Saturday, September 18, 2021

Return To Pine Street Woods

Another window of opportunity this week, a day ten degrees cooler than last week, so off I went again to Pine Street Woods to hike that Meadow Trail. I would cross that Butterfly Trail more than once before I was done. I think it is more meant for mountain bikes than hikers. And I did spot some people on bikes this time.

I was right about it being more out in the open than other trails and to my surprise, there were several benches along the first flat stretch and even one out in the meadow. Not the best time of year to enjoy the meadow - dry and not much in the way of enjoyable flora. The plaque on this bench says "One thing about the passing of time . . . it never stops. Enjoy as much time as you can with those you love (make sure to tell them you love them whenever possible) . . .Because one day that opportunity will be gone . . . in a blink of an eye. Don't take anything for granted. - Brian Harvey"

More trees of interest - these not only joined at the hip but gently twisting over each other.


And more birch trees competing side by side with pine trees.

I always like this delicate green moss that one usually sees hanging from branches, but in this case, it was right on the trunk of the tree. It's a vital food source for deer and elk come winter.

The Meadow trail is broad and graveled about a third of the way before it veers off into the woods onto a packed dirt path.

Remember me mentioning that some of the trails in this community woods hook up with older established trails outside of the Trust Land? Here is one such trail primarily meant for mountain bikes (thus the "momentum" designation) and according to the sign, runs through private land. 

And here's another trail that, yes, runs through Sherwood Forest. There's a story there but I don't know it. This one, according to the sign, is for expert mountain bike riders.

Soon I was back to the meadow where a small herd of whitetail deer flashed their tails before heading into the woods, all too quickly for me to capture with my camera. No great scenic sights on this trail, but from the meadow, looking over the tops of trees, there are the ever present mountains in the background.

That was really a short hike, less than a mile with few inclines. I was not ready to go home. So I headed up the Homestead Trail where it connects to the Meadow trail and takes you on the other side of the meadow before ducking into woods again. This trail had a lot more elevation to it and took me to where one could head down Upper Greta's Segway. I've hiked the lower part of that trail - see this post.

I really should have left this trail for a day of its own. Like the Crooked Tree Trail, it was a steady climb up and then pretty steep down before dumping me back at the meadow, leaving me more tuckered out than I anticipated (I wasn't exactly staggering but it was close, with lots of assist from my walking stick - lol). I'd hoped that because of its name I'd get a glimpse of an old cabin but the only thing hinting at a homestead history was a stretch of old barbed wire fence. And no real views for all that climbing, just a glimpse now and then of those mountains off in the distance. Still, I think I'd hike it again, going in the opposite direction and when I was fresh!


 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great day for a hike! The plaque on the bench is such a nice sentiment. I enjoyed 'walking' along with you through your photos! Thanks for sharing the beautiful sights in the woods! Jan in WY

The Inside Stori said...

Another inspiring post…making me want to visit!!

Sherrie Spangler said...

I can almost smell those evergreen trees! It looks quite delightful.

Charlton Stitcher said...

Thank you for sharing these photos of a lovely peaceful-looking place. they had me searching the net for details. Unfortunately too remote and far away for me to visit but great to enjoy over the internet.

I especially loved that Brian Harvey quote. It seemed so very apt in this crazy, uncertain pandemic time when it has been hard to see much-loved family who live at a distance.