Thursday, April 20, 2023

Grandma's Work

I snuck that little bookbinding project in last week between finishing up my taxes. Did them in fits and starts as usual, putting off finalization longer than necessary and letting the state ones nearly trip me up. But they got mailed off Friday and I could return my focus to finishing up Naomi's quilt. I'd laid it out on the carpet to steam the edges before squaring up and it stayed there for more than a week as other distractions presented themselves. But over the weekend I was able to cut and piece the binding strips and trim off that excess batting and backing, and then get the binding sewn on.

You'll no doubt remember that I used the quilting paper to draw out the design for quilting the borders, pinning the strips in place and free motion quilting through them. As I did so, it occurred to me that I might be quilting in some tucks since I couldn't see the surface of the quilt . . .

. . . and I sure did, in just two places though. One more imperfection few will notice I'm sure. And something to file away in my memory for next time.

Because I only had pieces of the blue fabric on hand, the binding strips were only about 28" long. That's a lot of angled seams, and even when I join 44 inch strips for bigger quilts, I always do a test around the outside of the quilt to be sure one of those angles doesn't end up right where I am turning the corner to make a nice miter. I have had those angled joins fall right there at the corner more than once and it is not a good thing. But to my surprise, not one of those joins even came close to a corner! I cut my binding slightly wider than the standard 2" so that there is plenty to pull to the back and cover the seam stitching and allow for machine stitching it in place from the front.

I decided to call it Grandma's Work because that is exactly what it is. It is made of the fabric this baby's grandmother dyed herself and that batik backing is from her stash. The pattern is of her and my design. It is a good representation of an important part of her life, a part that meant so much to her.

I'm still really glad I picked this batik for the backing - it plays so well with the hand-dyes on the front. I still need to ink in some label info on it, but then it is ready to send off along with additional explanations and memories of my good friend that will help her granddaughter learn more about her one day.

9 comments:

Chris said...

Sheila, that came out so great. I’m a big fan of blues and those are beautiful. The backing is perfect. It’s amazing how a simple design with squares and half square triangles can create such a wonderful pattern.

Anonymous said...

'Grandma's Work' is the perfect name for this spectacular quilt! I, too, always 'preview' binding before sewing it down to make sure the joints aren't on the corners where I need to have a neat miter! Congratulations on a beautiful finish with a beautiful story! Jan in WY

The Inside Stori said...

A winner......I love this!!

Sherrie Spangler said...

What a striking quilt! Yes, I've had the joined seams end up at the corners a few times. Now I always check first.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Thanks everyone! And how good to hear I'm not alone in trying to avoid the dreaded binding joins falling at a corner turn. :-)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful piece of art and tribute to your friend, Sheila. Her grandchild will treasure it!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Thank you whoever you are Anonymous!

Anonymous said...

Sheila. How very thoughtful and loving. I’m so very happy you did this for Sadie & Naomi. I love the information about the fabric, the design. And it’s beautiful. Know Judi is happy watching that baby girl around this quilt. ( Was Judi whispering in your ear?). Love love love.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Yes, at times I did feel Judi was whispering in my ear. How could I not do this for the grandbaby she longed to live long enough to see and hold? Wish I knew who you were, Anon.