Sunday, August 20, 2023

Celtic Weave Binding

Does this look familiar? Yes, just like in quilting, I find myself draping threads to audition colors for stitching. When I was doing my shopping on the internet, I had a feeling that the butterscotch thread in one collection might work well with this handmade paper and it seems that I was right about that. As for the many greens, I was disappointed that there were no true olive greens the color of the leaves. That lightest one at the bottom just didn't look like it fit to me. The dark green one though was like the few dark green sprigs and stems, and in viewing what other members in my club had chosen for the woven part of the binding, choosing that one seemed a good bet. I did let these sit overnight before making my final decision, but I'm trying to keep to something that came out of a 5 day journaling exercise I did back in July - LESS DITHERING, MORE DOING! I could have gone back and forth over several other options and combinations but after sleeping on it, it was pretty clear I'd be going with the butterscotch and dark green.

Now that it is done, I've had second thoughts about my thread color choices. I'm very happy with the butterscotch, just not so sure pairing it with the dark green looks as good as I thought it would. On the other hand, I simply did not think the "khaki" green thread, the lightest of the bunch, would look right either in the link stitches, really didn't go with the rest of the green going on. And to ditch green thread altogether to use something else with the butterscotch? Well, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. So here I am, wondering if it looks alright, if perhaps I should have just gone with one color or the other for all the stitches. It makes me want to make another one right away!


The link stitches on each end of the spine are done first, to stabilize the book and make the weave part a bit easier. An unusual technique in the making of this book is the insertion of the first and last signatures into front and back covers respectively which have been folded in half. Apparently this is because the stitching might rip through the soft handmade paper. This method makes the attachment of the covers strong.

The covers are cut (or in my case, torn) wider than the width of an open signature so that the fore edges can be turned inside to create more stability along that edge and also to provide pockets if the top and bottom edges of the flap are secured (I used double stick tape).

Here's a closeup look at the stitches - link (or Coptic) stitches on the outside, the Celtic weave in the center. The weave looks very complicated, doesn't it? But it really isn't, a simple crossing over of threads using two needles as one works up through the holes of each signature. Once you've got your rhythm, it's a bit meditative, and reminded me a bit of braiding hair.Click on the photo for a larger view.

Here's one last look at the finished book. Since this is to be a gift, I can't tell you how pleased I am with the way it came together. The stitching is nice and tight without keeping the book from closing naturally which means the signatures have very little gap between them and little if any wriggling. And it feels so good in the hand, soft yet substantial. I'll be adding a few things to the pages before sending it on, Celtic inspired things, which should be fun.

That's the last of the books (unless I want to keep going by working on the one I have a cover set aside for but I think I need a break from bookmaking). I hardly know what to turn to next, though I planned for it to be some sewing. Do you find yourself at loose ends once you finish a major project if you don't have something immediately waiting in the wings? After being so driven and focused for so long, it's a floaty feeling for me, relief and indecision all at once!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Less dithering! More doing!" should be cross stitched on a pillow!! Your stitching & thread colors look great, so please don't be hard on yourself by second-guessing your choices! Enjoy the satisfaction of finishing & the next project will present itself when it's time! Jan in WY

The Idaho Beauty said...

Oh yes, you are right! If I still did cross stitching, I'd get right on it!

Sherrie Spangler said...

The lucky recipient of this book will be very happy! Yes, I'm like you when I finish a project and have nothing waiting in the wings. I get restless.