Friday, August 30, 2024

So Much For Quick

Only some of the stacks of fabrics I went through

I really liked the idea of using up the big pieces of fabric left over from making the rails baby quilt by making it into pillowcases, and thought it wouldn't take me long to make up three for the other kids in the family. I'd found several free pillowcase patterns on line and chose the one from AQS partly because it used a little less fabric in the main part of the case and the cuff seemed simpler. I made a few changes like not cutting two separate main and cuff pieces, thus eliminating one long seam, and found I could get two cases out of the ark animal fabric and one out of the raindrops. That part went quickly enough. But as you can see, picking coordinating/contrasting fabric for the cuffs sent me for an agonizing trip through my stash that lasted several days. You know the drill: pull potentials for auditioning, find a few that might work, nothing seems quite right, and finally, when looking in a spot you forgot to check, you find a perfect candidate, then another and decide you really like that one you spotted in the beginning. Ahhh, all three cases now have cuffs to match. (And I have to say, the process reacquainted me with a lot of beautiful fabric I must find a use for.)

Me and my mother 1968

Both sets of directions gave the option to just zigzag or machine overcast the seams but I knew with this fabric there would still be a mess of threads after washing. So I opted to make French seams, a technique I learned when I made this dress for a high school prom. That floaty chiffon overdress absolutely had to have its seams encased, not just to keep raveling under control but because they could be seen through the chiffon.

You know me, I like things nicely finished and I'm very pleased with these French seams and the way the cuff folded over and was stitched down a bit from the edge, looking very much like a commercial pillowcase.

But these did take longer to make than I thought they would. I did do a lot of pinning which I suppose many people would not, but again, it assured a good looking product in the end.

Now I've started on the trinket baskets I wanted to send along as well. It won't use up all of the raindrop fabric (I don't think) but here is what was left of the ark fabric and the various pink fabrics I used in the quilt that could be cut into usable length strips for the baskets.

It's been awhile since I've made these so I had to spend some time going over directions and finding my notes on machine settings and changes that make a full basket into a short lipped saucer shape like this one. And this first one is going very slowly as I get my wrapping and coiling rhythm back.

In the meantime, I've finished sleeve one of my lavender sweater and yes indeed, it did use up slightly more than one skein, meaning I definitely will need at least some of the extra I was able to get.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

French seams make the most sense for pillowcases. The retreat group used to make them for a charity each time we got together. Our friend in your neck of the woods is very skilled at making pillowcases, but it looks like you've got the job under control! Your finished sleeve looks great! Have a nice Labor Day! Jan in WY

Sherrie Spangler said...

I learned French seams the same way you did -- sewing fancy dresses in high school!