Monday, June 06, 2011

Jockeying for Space Postcard

"Jockeying for Space"
Fabric Postcard 4 x 6
Sheila Mahanke Barnes 2011

I had the chance to play with fabric postcards again over the weekend. I've made several with triangles like this, calling them Jockeying for Position. But this one, because it has a tighter feel to the arrangement, is more in line with the larger Jockeying for Space, and so that is what this one is called. It also differs from the other ones in its addition of narrower triangles.


I'd meant to use up the triangles that had been trimmed from another project last year, and got as far as getting out the paint wipe cloth that would be the background. I stalled while thinking too hard about which parts of that cloth would work best with which triangles. I allowed myself to get overwhelmed and ended up putting the project away. This time, one of the goals was to work quickly and definitely not spend too much time picking out spots on the background and arranging the triangles. I considered the lighter side, realized I could cut a strip off and sub-cut it into postcard-size backgrounds and be done with it. Now I have multiple backgrounds ready to go.


The arrangement of the triangles fell into place with only a few rounds of "jockeying" and thought. The ironic thing is, this orientation is the one I designed to. It was only when I was ready to square it up that I thought to check the other orientations, deciding I like the portrait orientation shown at the top. But frankly, it looks pretty good no matter which way it is turned.

1 comment:

Sherrie Spangler said...

Oooh, I love your triangles. Do more!