Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Mid-Week Breather

Today had a little less stress attached to it (yes, getting back into regular studio routine and designing is stressing me out a bit). Before I can proceed with the Bubble Reboot, that teal hand-dye needed treating with Retayne - a quick check showed it was loaded with spent dye that the least bit of moisture would send bleeding where I didn't want it. Usually I do this in the machine when I have 2 or 3 yards of fabric to set, but I didn't have anything else to go with this half yard of fabric, so I did the 20 minute wash by hand while watching an Antiques Roadshow episode I'd recorded - enjoyable yet productive time. Later, this fabulous piece of marbling arrived in the mail from Mary Stori. It is one of several pieces she did with her fiber group during a day of experimentation, and she used a portion of it to create this lovely piece which was not without struggle. I blatantly announced I coveted the balance of the fabric. It vaguely reminded me of some of the real marble I saw in one of the Mayo Clinic buildings in Rochester. Never dreamed Mary would be so generous as to offer it to me, but she did. Thanks so much - not sure how I will use it yet but I am excited to discover a way to incorporate it in the new work I'm creating this spring.


I've been doing my daily Zentangle® after lunch and was delighted to find today's lesson was about one-stroke patterns. I've struggled a bit with some of the patterns, actively disliking a few and thus not always benefiting from the meditative aspect of the discipline, but not today. I was so in my comfort zone drawing feathers - I mean "fluxes" - and stippling - oops, "amaze" - it was pure pleasure. Actually, I was so excited to see something I was familiar with that I got carried away with those fluxes and strung them into a "vine" which is covered in tomorrow's lesson. I didn't really get the hang of that other thing that looks more like an ear than anything. It's a "mooka" and to be fair, the examples look much more appealing than mine. Guess I should have spent more time practicing it before incorporating it. Have been wondering if I'd do a better job if I tried free-motion quilting it - I think it would make an interesting filler pattern.

And now I should get to the studio and start cutting bubbles. I have to say I don't quite know what to make of the "I don't see the problem" comments that showed up on the last post. I get your point about airiness and subdued being ok, but what I don't think is coming across in the photos is that effect (which I was going for) is totally lost - the bubbles really do not show up, just disappear unless viewed from very close or from an angle. The digital camera is doing its best to fix that for me, bless its heart. It doesn't reflect the reality (no pun intended). I guess you're going to have to trust me on this. I'm not chucking it yet, but I am going to try to improve upon it.   

5 comments:

Cate Rose said...

I'm loving your Zentangles. As for size and tools -- there's no RIGHT way to do this, despite what some "teachers" say. The whole deal with people getting certified to teach zentangle drawing is bizarre and unnecessary, as far as I'm concerned. It's merely another ego trip that some get attached to. Just do what pleases you. I like the book you're using, have it in my cart at Amazon.com. Again regarding size, though, I simply cannot use such a small journal to do these things in, it's incredibly awkward to my hand and wrist to work in such a small thing. It's already painful as it is to do the drawings, let alone work in such a small format. As I said before, whatever works.

Linda’s Textiles said...

Your zentangle is looking great - would be lovely as a quilting line too. Love the marbled fabric - interesting to see what you do with it.
Thanks for your comment on my blog.

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Sheila. Your bubble work/play is really interesting. I do agree with Connie about Zentangle. I believe in using what you have and recycling, and there is a certain amount of business in Zentangle. That being said, your design is beautiful. I think that quilters do a similar thing and get meditation too, if they want. And don't worry about me--I'm safe on my little farm. It would take a good deal more to dislodge me!
best, nadia

Margie Kraft said...

Hi from Idaho also. I've enjoyed following your blog...you do great work! I have listed your blog on my own blog for a tag that I received. Hope you get some hits as a result. You are welcome to pass on if it works for you. Margie at http://margiekraft.blogspot.com/

The Inside Stori said...

I KNOW you will do magic with the marbled piece that soooo challenged me. Can't wait to see it..... I appreciate the link!!