I've been having a great time catching up on this and that, and doing what I think of as recreational sewing. I can't share the project I just finished yet as it is a gift making its way to the recipients who might just stop by here before it arrives. So instead, here is one of those things that got put aside when my world got so wacky last year. Friends bought this piece that I made for the "Diamonds in the Rough" exhibit last spring, but asked if I could mount it on something so it could be framed. This made me smile because I had wanted to do just that with Fading and Forgotten, but ran out of time to find the right color of metal frame. Now all I had to do was mount it to this foam core board as we had discussed and let them decide about a frame. Lucky for me they've been so patient about me getting that done. I've left plenty of board around the quilt so that they can decide how much of it they want left showing when they take it to their framer.
I've not done this before, but I'd done a little research so I wouldn't be going into it totally blind. After centering the quilt on the board, I pushed a large needle through the quilt near the edge and into the board about every inch and a half. With a smaller needle threaded with linen thread (purchased in preparation for playing with book binding), I made my way around the quilt, going up through the hole from the back, catching a bit of the back of the quilt and returning back through the same hole, snugging the thread up tight.
I did a sort of half-hitch I think, to keep the thread from loosening as I moved to the next hole. Once I made it all the way around, I joined the beginning and end of the thread with a double knot.
And to doubly secure the whole thing, I covered the stitching with strips of linen tape. I'm confident this quilt is going nowhere and it lies snug against the board. Best of all, this is all easily reversible with no damage to the quilt, should the owners at some future date wish to remove it from the board and hang it from the sleeve that is still attached to the back of the quilt.