Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Conflicted


You haven't heard more about progress on this because frankly, I spooked myself with all this wiring and crimping I've not done before. Rather than taking those crimps and securing the wire, I ran for the relative safety of my hand quilting over the weekend. Today I mustered the courage to look at it again and consider my options.


It wasn't just the crimping making me nervous though. In my mind, running the wire beyond the suspended metal plate as if those discharged areas were being suspended too would be a cool tie-in. But without even finishing this embellished effect, I started having second thoughts. Was it too much of a good thing? Would it take away from the discharged areas, draw the eye in a way I hadn't intended? Only one way to know, so today I finished threading the wire over and under and I still can't decide if it adds or detracts. As with all metallics, it's difficult to get a good representation in a photo - the wire here does not read as bronze as it is in real life, but still, what do you think?

Also considering whether it needs to be mounted on something or if it will look ok with whatever wall color showing through the middle. I'd considered tacking it to black mat board and placing it in a metal frame (perhaps dark bronze). Yeah, this is making me insecure and so I'm questioning everything. Second opinions more than welcome.

3 comments:

Sherrie Spangler said...

I love it with the wires. If you're nervous about crimping, take it to a bead store and ask them to show you how. It would look striking in a bronze frame!

Margaret Cooter said...

The wires "knit" it together - and take the metallic glimmer from the centre to the edges. I like the idea of framing it ... to set it apart from the wall when it's hung up.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Thanks for your input, Margaret. Your use of the term "knit" for what the wires do gave me a whole new way of thinking about how they work as a design element. I've been doing so much actual knitting lately too, so the visual is strong! Yup, I think framing is definitely going to happen.