Saturday, February 04, 2012

Palouse Hills: Ready for Winter

"Palouse Hills: Ready For Winter"
13" x 16" Art Quilt
Sheila Mahanke Barnes 2012

My mental attitude truly has shifted, to my relief. All I remember from last year is dread and resistance to things I knew I must do but didn't want to tackle, constantly looking for a way out and wasting plenty of time trying to avoid the inevitable. I still have those moments of - I wish I could find an easy magical way - but they are shorter in duration. Some things are inevitable, no easy way out, so just get to it. That being the case, there wasn't much more thinking that needed to be done about adding the braid to the outside of this quilt. Another look today and I was sure it was what it needed to make me comfortable with it. And just one way to get it on. Actually, it wasn't that much different from applying it along the quilted section and though slow going, it wasn't difficult or troublesome. It's on and I like it. There's still something about it that doesn't feel quite right - I suspect it's partly the odd dimensions. I want to do more on this theme, and hopefully, the design will improve as I go along. Click on the picture for a larger view.


I have to admit that I did fall prey to trying something I've contemplated as a quick magic solution but not dared to do. I don't enjoy sewing on sleeves (may be one reason why I was so compelled to just put this in a frame), and I enjoy it even less on the back of these mounts which have the heavy stabilizer fused on and no batting in between. You have to be more careful than normal to make sure you don't stitch all the way through to the front, and the stiffness makes it difficult to hold and manipulate. So in order to truly finish it today, I used Steam a Seam and fused the sleeve to the back. I'll have to keep my eye on it but I'm hoping that the quilt will be light enough that the sleeve won't pull loose. If it does, it should be easier to tack it in place - pinning into the mount is also a pain. Maybe I'll just put in a few tacking stitches in strategic places to be sure.

I haven't allowed myself to set out my goals for February yet. Too focused on finishing this first and then I can regroup. I'm counting this towards my two quilts for January and it will probably be one that I submit with my application for ArtWalk.

7 comments:

redhouse said...

I love this piece. I grew up in the Palouse and am continually fascinated by the landscape. I think you did a great translation to fabric.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Thanks! With friends in Walla Walla, I've driven that stretch south from Spokane many times and in all seasons. It's amazing that those steep hills can be plowed like that and the graphic images beg to be rendered in fabric. I just wish there were more places to pull off the road and take reference photos!

Amanda said...

It's great! Nice to see it in it's entirety. Had you thought of a bead of strong fabric glue to help the Steam a Seam?

The Idaho Beauty said...

Well, I'm going to have to do something, Amanda. I do have vague memories of considering glue and rejecting it, but a check today shows a not good bond at the ends of the sleeve - really where I need it. A few quick stitches by hand would solve that, or maybe a dot or two of glue. Thanks for reminding me.

June said...

Nice. I love the Palouse -- painted a winter scene there once. It's still one of my favs. I bet this one will become one of yours (once you get the blasted binding on!)

magsramsay said...

Love those curvy hills and the subtle palette - it would look wonderful ona large scale.

The Idaho Beauty said...

You are so right, Magsramsay. I do want to try this in a larger version, one that will accommodate those furrows being hand quilted. I'm a glutton for punishment!