Saturday, December 05, 2015

Emerging From The Mire

Talk about a production!
I got bogged down last week, picking out pockets and linings for my padfolios. One of the days I decided I could not move forward if I didn't commit to at least some of the combinations I had paired up with covers. Starting with one I was pretty excited about, I carefully lined up my ruler on the piece of fabric that was just wide enough and a bit deeper than what I needed and made my first cut. Tossed the inches-wide excess to the side. Placed the lining over the cover, only to discover it was inches short in depth. I immediately sensed what had happened, that I'd placed the 15" square-up ruler sideways. Essentially I was lining things up from the 15" mark down when it should have been the 1" mark at the top. And yes, no more of that fabric. As silly mistakes can often do, it threw everything else off for me - you know how that goes. So it was back to pulling even more fabric, stacks everywhere! Yesterday, I finally made my last decision and cut, and put away every unused piece of fabric and a few extra linings and pockets that I decided against. I even discovered under one pile that rust rectangle at the bottom of the picture - now what was that for, a lining? Truly can't remember, but it's ready to go! 

Four down, five more to go. Gotta ramp it up!

The stacks of fabric have been replaced by stacks of padfolio pairings ready for stitching. And now I feel the second guessing setting in - no doubt because of all the second guessing I found myself doing over the pockets and lines. I've said before that I probably spend too much time fussing over them, but I do want the insides to be as interesting as the outsides and to look like they go with them. Ditto for choosing thread color and stitching designs. I thought I'd try something different on these two - outlining the dye resist designs in the one (not sure that worked so well), running diagonal lines across the other. The diagonals took more time than I anticipated; I ended up laying down tape and stitching on either side of it, then up through the middle so my diagonals wouldn't go too far astray. I free-motion stitched the lines with imperfection in mind - gentle wavering (not sure about this one either). I think for the next group I'm going back to leaves...


Lucia Sasaki said...

Dear Sheila, thanks for sharing your production, your pictures are always so beautiful and inspiring!
One thing I like in your posts is that you always explain the process: for me it is so or more important than the results.
Thanks a lot!

The Idaho Beauty said...

You are welcome! I agree - pictures of finished projects don't begin to tell the whole story. Process has always been important to me although I know many people who just want to rush to the end results. Nice to know that I have readers who are as interested in the process as I am. I am always learning and love sharing what I learn.

The Inside Stori said...

I’ve found when making similar items, production line sewing works wonderfully…..esp. with complicated and multiple construction steps. It’s astonishing how easily I forget in only a few days how I did something!! Go for it!

The Idaho Beauty said...

So true, Mary! I just finished up fusing the linings in one session, and I got into a rhythm fairly fast (several steps involved). It was almost enjoyable! And seemed to go more quickly than I thought it would. Had I decided to fuse just a few at a time, I would have been taking time at the beginning of each session to check fusing directions, remember about trimming and how I thought I was going to position things.