Thursday, December 07, 2017

The Power of Renaissance Exhibit

Liberating a quilt from under the bed - is it still in one piece?
Since I finished the quilting on the two latest leaf cluster quilts, I've been spending studio time prepping them for framing and dealing with exhibit paperwork. In my time exhibiting with POAC, I think this will be the first time I've had art in two simultaneous exhibits that open just a week apart. Luckily, for this exhibit that sees POAC's return to the Power House, I could pull a quilt from under the bed that hasn't seen the light of day for several years. It had the first drop-off deadline, so I interrupted my framing to tweak its Artist Statement to more closely fit the theme (Renaissance - rejuvenation, rebirth, revival), and unwrapped it from its plastic bag and protective sheet to make sure everything was still properly fused and holding together.

Eisenberg Fountain: The Healing Power of Water ©2015

I always liked the gallery space at the Power House and was sad when circumstances led to POAC finding a different office and gallery space. The businesses in the Power House have missed us though, and we've secured it for gallery space once again. I'm pleased that Eisenberg Fountain: The Healing Power of Water will be hanging there until March.

Click photo for readable size

I've seldom been able to bang out an Artist Statement quickly, and I spent particularly long on this one, partly because POAC is allowing us to fill an 8-1/2 inch x 5-1/2 inch space rather than a 3 x 5 inch one, and partly because I'd be printing it out myself so might be able to include a photo of the actual fountain. I ended up reducing the opacity of the fountain photo and superimposing my text over it and think it is still readable. With quilt checked and all paperwork filled out and collected, the only other thing I needed to do was be sure I was taking the right quilt to the right location!

Eisenberg Fountain was well received on its first outing at the Columbia Bank gallery, and it will be interesting to compare that to the response at tomorrow's opening reception. As always, if you are in the vincinity and can drop by, don't forget to say hi!

"The Power of Renaissance"  12/08/17 - 03/02/18
This will be POAC's first exhibit back at The Power House.  An exhibit celebrating a revival of art at The Power House, as well as, the artist's own personal revival or rebirth.
Please join us for a reception at The Power House on Friday, December 8th 5:30 - 7pm

2 comments:

Christine Staver said...

I hope the reception went well. This is a beautiful piece of art so I am glad it found another place to be displayed.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Thanks Chris! Small turnout at the reception but I enjoyed mingling with the other artists. And it really is nice to have this piece out in the public again.