Sunday, March 01, 2020

Long Stitch Binding With Slit Covers


I've used a variation of the long stitch when making my blank journals (thanks to Michele at Sweet Leaf Notebook for giving me one of hers that I've used as a guide) and it is a very simple a quick way to put a book together. This version with the slit cover is supposed to be equally quick and easy but I struggled a bit with it. Sewn-in signatures would flop around as I tried getting my needle in the right place and pulling thread through, then keep turning the book to the back to tighten up stitches. Eventually it dawned on me to get some clothespins out to hold those unruly signatures to the cover while I worked sewing in the next one.

I'm still on the fence about Kraft-Tex in general, but as I worked sewing the signatures in, I came to like the feel of it. However, I struggled with getting the slits in the spine cut because, as I always forget, black is impossible to see things like stitching and in this case, pinprick awl marks on and I couldn't get a clean cut through on the first swipe. I think that is why there's some white showing at the slits. The bottom one in particular I KNOW got cut in two places close together with a sliver having to be removed. As much as I like green, I couldn't believe I had no suitable green thread, but the black's ok, particularly since I don't really like the look of the thread wrapping over the head and tail of the spine in this binding.  Also, it requires the signatures and covers to be identical heights unlike other bindings that require the covers to bit slightly longer, the extra providing some protection to the edges of the signatures.

A fairly usable size at 6-14 x 4-14 inches

I've been using drawing paper or watercolor paper in my other books, but this time I decided to use just a plain paper that might make for a good writing surface. I have quite a bit of 25lb cotton rag Resume paper left over from the days of submitting one's resume printed out on fine paper and submitted by mail. Does anyone require that anymore? That paper makes for a very special feel over just copy paper. The strap is what I trimmed from the cover, and frankly, I don't really like the slits on the cover for it to thread through. I was considering velcro and might change to that. 

Honestly, I doubt I would use this binding again. Besides not liking the look, it doesn't lay open and flat as that French Link binding does (not sure why) But in the meantime, lessons learned, preferences hit upon, and a nice little book to add to my collection.

3 comments:

The Inside Stori said...

It’s fun watching how your bookmaking skills continue to grow!

Charlton Stitcher said...

We've been hunkering down under the weight of Coronavirus restrictions and plotting our plan of survival! Consequently I've only just found your post.

That top picture makes me think of a wonderful holiday spent on the west coast of Canada a couple of years ago. It was very cheering to see in these desperate times.

Still, I think those of us with an absorbing hobby / occupation have a head start in surviving social distancing and isolation. I have many plans ... and I'll look forward to seeing how those trees develop in the coming weeks.

Stay safe and healthy!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Hi Margaret! Never too late to find posts to read. ;-) I'm happy that my photos invoked some pleasant memories.

While the rest of the world and a lot of the US is already in partial or full lockdown, here in Idaho, we are just getting going, although I've been more vigilant than usual as soon as I saw the cases ballooning over in the Seattle area. Our first confirmed case in northern Idaho was confirmed just yesterday and this has been a week of announcements of school closures, library closures, meetings and events cancellations or postponements and for some reason, a run on toilet paper. Just recommendations so far concerning social distancing but I imagine restaurant closures or limiting to pick-up & delivery only is only days away.

So yes, a lot of hunkering down going on (although I am pretty much hunkered down most of the time!) and I think you are right about those of us with hobbies or occupations having a head start over many in our society. As the social media meme goes, we artists, be it painters, sketchers, sewers, art journalers, will have no trouble staying busy at home and merely laugh if anyone asks what we will do if we run out of supplies. Ha! Our art supply/fabric stashes overfloweth already!

And of course, I live in a mostly rural area of unsurpassed natural beauty that I can enjoy when I need a break. My life goes on pretty much as usual for now (except for the TP shortage - lol) But I'm feeling for people in the cities that must feel horribly trapped.

Stay safe and well and busy with your artistic plans. Thank goodness we can share on the internet.