Saturday, May 23, 2020

More Springiness and Some Sewing

Soooo, this happened on the way to making a mask. I had an urge to sew like I haven't had for a long time, and the pieces I'd cut for split 9 patches on National Quilting Day were still sitting on my machine surround. The mask was going to require a change of thread and needle, and as long as the machine was still set for sewing these blocks, I decided to get to it. I arranged 5 of the half-square triangle units with light and dark squares and sewed them together. The next day I counted how many half-square triangle units were left, just 4, and after arranging them with dark squares and what was left of the light squares, I cut ten more light squares in order to complete those blocks too. Now I have a total of 13 six inch blocks, lots of dark squares left as well as some squares for making more half square triangle units. But this was enough to satisfy me for now, make me feel ok about packing it all back into its folder for another day.


As for the mask, yes I know, late to the party but I've never been much of one for jumping on bandwagons. While other sewers of all stripes have hunkered down to make masks not just for themselves and family but to donate, I just couldn't rally to the cause. I did check to see if my brothers/sils needed any but they are being well taken care of by their places of work. I've followed links, watched videos and read directions, and could see this was no quick project and would be the type of sewing I don't particularly enjoy. I also knew how much time I'd spend picking fabric and I wasn't wrong about that! I have fiddle now for parts of two days with what I thought was my preferred pandemic mask pattern and directions only to be unhappy with the fit and thinking I should have listened to my gut about some of the measurements and instructions. And I was so sure I wanted to make one with ties, but I am finding them problematic. One positive outcome was trying out these Clover Wonder Clips and liking them for holding all those layers of folds together instead of using pins. I've been giving these a wide berth but bought a small pack at the recommendation of my bookbinding teacher for holding signatures together or templates in place. They actually work better than binder clips for that.


Well, no matter that the mask with the ties isn't working out. I can just do that no sew version using an 18" square of fabric. I knew that when folded, the center tended not to have more than one layer so dug out some lightweight fusible interfacing from my clothes-sewing days and added a rectangle of it on the center. I happened to have some ponytail elastic ties, bought for quick closures for my soft journals, so I was set to fold and try it on. Well, THAT didn't work so well either. I've heard people say those hair ties are really too small and I'd have to agree. Plus I wear glasses and I was having trouble working around the end of the bows. And my small hoop earrings kept getting caught up in the elastic. And it kept slipping off one ear (I must have a Stephen Colbert-type ear issue). But even when I got everything in place and adjusted, I wasn't happy. No covering underneath the chin, a wad of fabric in the mouth area, I couldn't imagine talking to anyone while wearing it.
 
But as I often do, I'm digging in my heels. I've watched a few more videos, including one tested and recommended by friend Michele in Wisconsin, and rifled through my supplies. Not sure why I'm so hung up on the pleated ones, but I will be trying another version, and possibly taking apart the one with the ties to rework it. But in the meantime I had a lightbulb moment, remembering how pleased I've always been with the fit of my pollen mask, that I could no doubt make a pattern off of it. So that will be the next step.
 
Now for the promised Springiness. 



More trees in my neighborhood have blossomed, bringing welcome color. This one is by the Goodwill Store.



And this one is in front of the Animal Shelter Charity Shop.


But this is what I've been waiting impatiently for it to bloom for about 3 weeks now. 



I thought maybe I'd missed it all together, but each time I checked, I could see the tiny blooms coming on, getting bigger and finally this week opening up.


Another sure sign of spring - goslings! The goose poop at City Beach is a pain and several attempts have been made to remove the geese who have discovered they really don't need to fly south in winter, but there's no keeping them from returning. The positive side is how lovely it is to watch the little ones.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mask making can be frustrating until you find a workable pattern/style. Then it's easy-peasy, but still takes more time than you think you should be spending! I swear by Clover Clips for binding & holding materials together that don't take pins well. Your blossoming trees are lovely & the day looks perfect for enjoying outdoors. Stay well! Jan in WY

bj parady said...

Ear savers like this (https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mask-mates-ear-savers) make a huge difference in fit and comfort for masks with elastic over the ears. It took me less than a half hour to make one that I use with all my masks.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Jan, the one thing I didn't like about the Clover Clips was not being able to sew up as closely as I can with pins before removing them. That's what I always figured was their downside as an alternative to pins to hold binding in place. But for hand sewing a binding, I figured they'd be so much better than poking pins! You stay well too!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Thanks for the link BJ - how clever is that? And I just happen to have that very yarn in my stash, crochet hooks and buttons galore! I've downloaded the pattern and will have to give them a try. Nice to hear from you.

The Inside Stori said...

You are certainly taking advantage of your time……the blooming trees are certainly a cheerful welcome view in this otherwise rather dreary covid-19 24-7 news that I’m trying to ignore…..tx’s for bringing something positive for all of us to enjoy.

Jeannie said...

I was like you until my niece asked for masks. She is a mid-wife and really can't take any germs to newborns. I made a bunch of different styles and had her and her staff figure out which one they liked. Judy Coates Perez's was the winner with most. I also made the pleated on you are making, but I only put 2 pleats in and liked the fit better. I also preferred ties to elastic but hated having to tie behind my head. I had a couple of toggles (like on parka hoods) and they worked perfectly.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Thanks Jeannie for the additional information - I will check out Judy's version. I just finished a different and easier 3 pleat mask with elastic that fits perfectly but I have two other versions I want to try. I hate to admit that this could become a bit addictive as I've come across several fabrics that I'd love to be wearing!

Michele Matucheski said...

Thanks for posting all the spring blooms. I missed them in May when I went to take care of my mom. Sorta fell off the face of the earth there for a while. Did you wind up making nay masks after all?