Thursday, October 08, 2020

A Little Sun, A Little Paint


We have had the loveliest few days of summer-like weather, temps in the 70's and lots of sunshine to set off the turning leaves. It has pried me out of my routine and sent me to a couple of my favorite places to get in my walks. Yesterday I was feeling particularly energetic and motivated to grab a sketchbook I seem to only work in about this time of the year since I started sketching in it and head for city beach.

After the usual walk taking me past a few people still working on their tans, a few actually in the water and others just out strolling like me or resting on benches, I got the concertina sketchbook with my city beach view sketched in and started adding more watercolor to it. Below you can see how far I got on a similar visit last September. I was thinking that I'd work on sky and water this time, but instead started adding color to more trees and working on the mountains behind them. Mostly getting familiar with the brush again, mixing colors, falling short of what I'd hoped the color would be. Really a first pass though, with some small darker strokes to add emulating the trees on those slopes. And a slightly sinking feeling of how much more I have to do on this - there's a back side you know!



2 comments:

The Inside Stori said...

This is fantastic!!

Anonymous said...

What a nice way to spend time outdoors while the weather is still cooperative! Jan in WY