Saturday, October 24, 2020

Changing Seasons


This was Thursday. Those geraniums have borne show-stopping blooms all summer. As the weather has cooled, they have gotten bigger and brighter. I took this picture because I knew what was coming.


This was Friday, the next day. As predicted, our temperatures dropped into the 30's and in came a storm. And yet, the geraniums had just enough protection on the back deck to carry on unscathed.


The leaves have hardly started falling from many trees, although I must admit, the birch out back was dropping them like snowfall itself on Thursday, prompting me to gather some up for the gellie printing session I have yet to embark on. This is a chokecherry tree out front, decorated by the neighbor kids with ghosts and witches, some of which blew off.


The neighbors won't do much lounging in those chaises nor riding of that motorcycle what with the deep freeze settling in for the next 5 days. The 3 or 4 inches of snow we got throughout the day isn't going anywhere soon.


The kids have been going half days to school and may have gotten out a tad earlier as the snow started around ten. Plenty of time to build a snowman from the heavy wet snow, complete with covid mask.


There have been power outages but luckily, not for me. Always a danger of branches and trees buckling under the weight of an early snow when leaves still cling. No more snow predicted for the immediate future but today it has been the winds instead, barreling out of the north, our Canadian neighbor sending icy blasts. Windchill is around 18 degrees and while I did get out yesterday to walk through the snow, today I opted to say inside. The geraniums are looking a little worse for wear. Hot chocolate is on the agenda.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We received some of that cold & snow this weekend, too! Keep warm & enjoy that hot chocolate! Stay well! Jan in WY

Anonymous said...

My porch looks similar to yours Sheila! I think sipping hot chocolate, looking OUT the window, instead of in, is a great idea! Rebecca. Sandpoint.

Sherrie Spangler said...

Snow and it's not even Halloween?! I hope you enjoy getting cozy with your hot chocolate -- sounds good.

The Idaho Beauty said...

I failed to mention that the weatherman reminded we had heavy October snows last year too. Even so, this makes only the 4th time since records began in the late 1800's, at least for the nearby Spokane area where my news is based.

Jan, I had a feeling you might be getting some of this. Rebecca - nice to see you here - did Randall get out the plow? :-)

The Inside Stori said...

Oh nooooo……..snow before Halloween?!? What else can 2020 bring us? But I appreciate the photos….lovely scenes (from a distance).