Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Another Day to Remember

  

On this day in 1975, I married the man I'd met and fell in love with (with quite a bit of pushing from him!) my junior year in college. My parents didn't have a lot of excess money lying around and my dad in particular frowned on credit, so some choices had to be made. For instance, I could either have a professional engagement photo taken which would be used with our wedding announcement in the newspapers and our invitations, or I could have a professional wedding photographer at the big day. I opted for the former and one of my brothers offered to take the wedding photos using a fairly good camera (and we were very pleased with the job he did).

This photo did not age well - my dress really was white

I'd been making my own and my mother's clothes for years so it was a no brainer that I would make my wedding gown and her mother-of-the-bride dress. I'd seen a Renaissance painting that included a women in an interesting dress - at the elbow and the high waistline was a second layer of fabric that split to reveal the sleeve and skirt underneath. With arms bent, the outer sleeve would hang down. When walking, the outer skirt would part and be pulled back. I found a pattern that was close, reshaped the neckline to match that in the painting, and figured out how to add those outer pieces of fabric on the sleeve and skirt. And because this was the 70's, the veil was a nod to Romeo and Juliet. Yes, I was very much a romantic.

As for my bridesmaids, they too knew how to sew, so I purchased the pattern and fabric for their dresses and veils and sent it off to them. The groom and his groomsmen all but one owned their own tuxes because of the various music groups they played in. All they had to do was rent those ruffled tux shirts in blue to match the bridesmaids dresses. It was definitely a wedding on the cheap.

Probably the biggest expense was renting the Waikiki Retreat House for the event and as I look up a link, I see it is no longer called that and also does not allow wedding ceremonies anymore. But here's a link with a photo and a little history. There was a bit of a kerfuffle when not too far in advance of the wedding, we were informed that there was an extra fee for chairs which my father refused to pay. Lots of hand wringing on the part of my mother and tears on my part until my in-laws stepped in to cover it. Our college jazz band had played at an event there and I decided on the spot I'd much rather be married there in its garden than in my little church back home. (Another kerfuffle as my mom had her heart set on the home-town church. I countered with using the minister and inviting the church ladies to help with the reception. Grumbling ensued but I won out.) Another musician friend played classical music on his guitar as we processed in and out, and during the reception too. It really was a fairy tale setting, at least for me. Never mind that it rained and lightninged all morning, and we feared we'd have to have the ceremony inside. The storm spent itself about 15 minutes before we were to begin, just enough time to get those rented chairs set up and everyone seated.

And when my dad and I stepped from the mansion to walk up the aisle, the sun came out! Talk about timing. My dad had the best time that day, and reportedly leaned over to my mother after the service to say "I forgot to smooch her!"

Here is probably our favorite photo from that day. As we readied to cut the cake, that musician on the guitar did a little strum like a drum roll. We'd both been working for the college food service and our boss who also owned a catering business presented us with the cake as a wedding gift. Since the wedding was on a Sunday and in those days, florists did not deliver on Sunday, he also stored the flowers and the cake in the college cafeteria's cooler so we would have access to them on the day.

The reception was fun for everyone I think, and I was dragging my feet about leaving. but our time slot was nearly up so I changed into my "getaway dress" (which I did NOT make surprisingly), and said our goodbyes before getting into a borrowed car for the quick trip downtown where we had reservations for a several day stay at the historic Davenport Hotel. Remember, we were recently graduated broke college students with not a lot of money for a honeymoon and a campus job to get back to.

That honeymoon suite did not disappoint! And they were quick to arrive with complimentary champagne. What a treat . . . 

Waine & Anna Whitlock married 4/28/1906 at her family home

So we almost made it to 25 years, and had every intention of making it to 50. We were decedents of strong long-lasting marriages that served as role models for staying together. My maternal grandparents made it to 50 in 1956 and were given a brass clock with the event engraved on it.

Leone & Floyd Mahanke married 8/12/1938

I inherited the clock and made sure my parents info was engraved on it as well when they celebrated their 50th in 1988. Family story goes that they crossed state lines from South Dakota into Wyoming because Wyoming had no waiting period, and as my mother said, when your dad makes up his mind about something, you don't argue, you just go! They found a church to be married in. No doubt what mom was thinking about when her little girl was planning her own wedding.

Frank and Carol Barnes

Allen's own parents made it to 50 I believe, although I don't seem to have any pictures of their celebration. Here's one taken in 1979; they were married in the early 1950's.                                                               

Once Allen died, I passed the clock onto my oldest living brother, telling him that if he and his wife made it to 50 years, he had to promise me he'd have their info engraved on it. The clock is like the one in the photo above so you can see how there are 4 panels on the top for engraving.

Joe & Jackie Mahanke married in 1969

And they did indeed celebrate their 50th in 2019 and have the clock engraved. Bravo! And I have little doubt that my other brother with a long-lived marriage will reach year 50 and have his info engraved on the last panel of the clock.

Thanks for indulging me and my memories. I've had a pleasant day going through our wedding album and scrapbook, and sharing the story.

6 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

My word, I keep looking at the photo of the bridal party and am amused about the line of relatively short girls on the left and the line of tall boys on the right. Well, the husband always did tend to gravitate towards friends who were tall like he was.

The Inside Stori said...

What a love story….thank you for sharing it!

Anonymous said...

I'm dabbing at tears as I read your wedding story! What wonderful memories you made with Allen! Your dress was beautiful & the pictures are treasures! We're celebrating 50 years this coming November...time flies when you're having fun! Jan in WY

Sherrie Spangler said...

What a wonderful remembrance. It does seem like a fairytale wedding, especially with the sun coming out just in time! You were a beautiful bride.

JB said...

What sweet memories to share. Thank you. We celebrated our 50th in 2016. Sorry you didn't get to meet that goal.

Unknown said...

Enjoyed this. Especially the picture of the honeymoon suite!