Monday, July 05, 2021

Quiet Day of Remembrance

A quick trip to visit my parents pre-proper gear

The years tick by, leaving my loved one frozen in time, forever 46 when he died on this day in 2000, while I continue to age with fond memories of our time together - 25 years of marriage and a few preceding that of courting. Motorcycles defined much of our lives together, and I loved every minute spent riding behind him. Well, maybe not every minute. Some of the motorcycle vacations we took had very long days on the bike, leaving us stiff and sore, sometimes getting caught in downpours, soaked and cold, before we invested in rain gear, other times baking in the hot sun. In fact there were many uncomfortable rides on bikes not meant for long 2-up treks and without proper gear.

But we eventually moved up to a Harley decked out in proper "luggage" bags and decked ourselves out in proper leathers as well. It was a wonderful way to explore new countryside and look for fun photo ops when we moved to Wisconsin.

So my day will be remembering my guy, his foibles as well as his strengths, the things he enjoyed doing and his love for me. Miss you and those rides . . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a lovely, heartfelt tribute to your late husband. I'm sure you miss him with every day that goes by. You have those wonderful memories of your great & not-so-great times on the bikes! 💕 Thank you for sharing with us. Jan in WY

The Inside Stori said...

Heartwarming!

sylviaweir.wordpress.com said...

I, too, have spent time on the back of a motorcycle--not all were comfy. During a ride through Big Bend, I asked to get off and walk--it was on the back of a dirt bike--and we were going uphill. Other times were through Mexico, I thought the things in my pockets were going to fly out!

I took the time to get my motorcycle license but I don't ride on roads--just in the parking lot warming up the bikes for their motorcycle class. those were fun days, though, and now he and his partner no longer teach those classes. Our sons functioned as range aids--setting up the cones for the various exercises. It was a great class.

Glad you have great memories in photos---It is always interesting and sometimes surprising to learn of the past adventures.

The Idaho Beauty said...

I so appreciate all your thoughts. And Sylvia, thanks for sharing your own motorcycle adventures! One more thing we have in common. :-) It really did feel like I led a double life, people I worked with not realizing this was something we did. When at one job, the husband picked me up from work decked out in leathers and handed me my gear to change into, there were many dropped jaws! And I particularly remember one quilt show we motorcycled to where I anticipated we'd get scowls at the very least from the "little old grey-haired ladies" sitting at the entrance selling tickets. Instead we got these wistful smiles and stories of when they too rode on motorcycles when the were young. What a treat to be greeted that way and bring back lovely memories for them.