Tuesday, May 02, 2023

A Little Mending A Little Painting

Look for the orange and blue yarn ties

Not quite a year ago, I was showing you what I called a quilting fail, where the invisible thread had worn through the cotton bobbin in numerous places on my couch quilt. This left me with loops big and small on the right side, loops that my fingers easily caught on when I pulled the quilt over me. In the ensuing year, more of these fails have shown up, and for reasons justified and not, I put off doing anything about it, save to tie a piece of yarn through the loops as I found them so they'd be easier to find once I did mend those places. Well, the loops never stopped showing up and that couch quilt is covered in yarn knots as you can see in the above photo. But honestly, it's difficult to convince myself to spend time mending when I could be working on something new. However, I had a surprise visit from some high school friends on Saturday, and since I didn't know exactly when to expect them, starting the mending on this quilt was a perfect project. And because there are so many breaks in the bobbin thread with the expectation of even more fails, I decided to just requilt along all the stitch in the ditch lines. And even as I rearranged the quilt as I stitched, my little finger found more loops. And there are also some spots where I did a clam shell design in the borders and setting triangles that will have to be resewn, but that will not be over all of them. 

I'm using a sturdy Superior The Bottom Line polyester thread in the bobbin that I think must have come in a grab bag sort of offer from Superior. Surely, I would not have picked this pink thread on my own, but fortunately it blends pretty well with the backing and should be impervious to the invisible thread. There's a part of me that can't believe I'm actually wearing out a quilt, but it really has had almost constant use since it was made over 20 years ago and it has been washed more than the quilts I have used on my bed or the guest bed. I can't imagine what I would replace it with. I think I care too much about the other quilts this size I have made whereas with this one, I knew I was using lesser quality fabric that was some of my first purchases and didn't cost nearly as much per yard as fabric I got in the habit of buying as I got more knowledgeable about those things. After all, I was using a mystery quilt pattern so if I ended up not liking it, I wasn't out much. But I did like it - a lot!

I did do a tiny bit of painting last week. I've had this pussy willow branch waiting for me for well over a month, thinking it would be an easy subject to practice on. I thought I could sketch it with a variety of mediums: pen, pencil, colored pencil, watercolor, brush pens. It would provide a quick study for trying out these different tools. But I also thought about that botanical drawing with India ink class and the sketchbook I used for that. Plenty of pages left so I got a brush and a few drops of ink and drew the above. I was astounded by how easy it was to get this good result.

And because I am a waste not want not kinda gal, I painted a second page with what ink was left in the tiny container. Tulips are not blooming yet but since I'd just sketched those tulip leaves, I thought I'd do a quick leaves and blooms with the India ink. NOT as successful - my up stroke was pretty steady while my downward stroke was not. Oh well, this is supposed to be a practice book, with some sketches a learning tool leading to more success. Thinking of adding some color . . . could be with ink or could be with the Posca Pens I picked up yesterday when I was in the somewhat big city for a doctor's appointment. Yeah, I had a coupon and I keep seeing people using them. We'll see if they are really better than the Painters ones from Walmart.

4 comments:

Sherrie Spangler said...

I always wondered how invisible thread would hold up over the years. Fortunately, I've only used it on wall quilts so it doesn't get any wear. I'll bet your quilt is nice and cozy!

The Idaho Beauty said...

I remember when I was first introduced to invisible thread, being told this is not the "fishing line" thread your mother used for regular sewing. Marketed as soft and not so strong that it wouldn't break and perfect for the type of heirloom quilting I was learning to do. Cotton thread was recommended for the bobbin to "grip" the slippery thread. Now it is that cotton thread that is breaking, not the invisible thread, and I think about how times have changed and so many machine quilters recommend using a polyester bobbin thread even with cotton thread on top but many are using poly on the top as well. Goes against everything I learned! I wonder though if the cotton thread would be failing by now with time and use even if I'd used it top and bottom. Makes me wonder how all the baby quilts I've given away are holding up!

Indeed, my couch quilt is nice and cozy, Goldilocks perfect in that it is not too heavy and not too light but the perfect weight and warmth over my lap.

Anonymous said...

Your couch quilt is well-loved & well-used! That's the way it's supposed to be. You're giving it many more years of life by re-quilting it! I think your pussy willow painting is so pretty! Hope you're having a good week! I hear our friend will be home in Idaho pretty soon! Jan in WY

The Idaho Beauty said...

Thanks Jan. And yes, that's the hope that I will be extending the life of that quilt, not just spending time mending one part when another will fall away. I've run across one small spot where the fabric is just threads and the binding's edge shows wear. Hang in there for at least another 20 years!

And yes, our mutual friend said she'd be heading back in May, and it is May, so I'm hoping to hear from her soon!