Thursday, November 02, 2023

Wrapping up #INKtober


I've had a bit of "life intervening" so no progress on the Abstract Color Challenge but I did keep up with my daily INKtober sketches. I have to admit the last 5 or so days I could feel my enthusiasm waning and finding it harder to think up what to sketch. And with that I also found I was making more mistakes or misjudgements, perhaps not really concentrating, just in a hurry to be done. Wrapped up for another year, I am not feeling any eagerness to continue a daily sketch practice. On to other things.

In the meantime, this might be a good time to share another Austin Kleon post, this one about time and music and doing your own thing, but it really refers to more than music. Several things struck me as so true, what I experience myself, like this:

“We live in an age in which only results seem to count, not processes,” Jarrett writes. “We need to hear the process of a musician working on himself. We don’t need to hear who is more clever with synthesizers. Our cleverness has created the world we live in…”

Nor do we need to hear who is more clever with their use of crystals on quilts or their free-motion quilting designs. I'm always more interested in process, not cleverness in the finished quilt. And the following quotation really captures what has happened since digital clocks came into existence (to which I have to protest that I DO often say, "almost (or about) 9:20":

"We see the world as ‘bits’ of information, either/or, yes or no, digital. We seem to have no desire to experience time. We trade this experience for the ‘accuracy’ of ‘bits’ of time: it’s either 9:19 or 9:20, never almost 9:20. So we think that time is a straight line and, eventually, that everything has edges. Something stops here, something starts there. But the natural world is essentially circular. . ."

So I will get back to my process of finishing up various projects, and I will be thinking in terms of spending "about an hour" when I head to the studio. How about you? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get your point about time being 'almost 9:20' back in the day. Now it's digital vs. analog...printing vs. cursive...electric vs. roll-up window cranks...end product vs. process...sometimes I wonder if this craziness will calm down. Probably not. With that said, I'm off to spend a couple of hours of uninterrupted time stitching. Have a great weekend doing what you enjoy! Jan in WY

The Idaho Beauty said...

Your mention of roll-up car windows put me in mind of the old Saab I drove for so many years. Nothing electric on that car. It didn't even have power steering! So when I traded it in for my current Subaru Outback, I was totally flumoxed - so many "automatic" and electric things to get used to. I just sat in the car with the salesman giggling some as he pointed out the features familiar to most but not me. Frankly, I kind of miss being able to roll down windows . . . like I miss dials & buttons instead of touchscreens. Sooo old school - lol