Monday, July 29, 2024

Lighthearted Musings

Photo by George Sanker

July is nearly over, and I think I will miss this calendar photo of the American Purple Gallinule. Look at those feet! You'd think they'd be an encumbrance but in fact, they are purpose built for walking on floating vegetation and clinging to plant stems. Laugh if you will but their huge clawed feet are their specialty for survival.

If that doesn't make you smile, perhaps this video will. I had saved it thinking it would be much longer than it is but worth watching when I had more time. Who among us has not faced "creative anxiety and procrastination", the theme of author Fredrik Backman's talk? You won't believe what he has to say in such a short amount of time!


And then there's this post from Ellen Anne Eddy: Repetition:The Nervous Person's Friend. Ellen is always so open and honest in her posts and this one is no exception as she muses about the breakdown of the body as we arrive in our seventies (I'm with you on that one, Ellen). But I also agree with what she has to say about this art form we embrace that is so full of doing the same thing over and over. Here's a sample but do check out the entire post.

"Part of it is that repetitious actions put us in a different mode and zone. It’s been called right brain thinking, but I think it needs the reinforcement of physical action, particularly action that doesn’t take a lot of thought...Thank God for repetition. For mindless tasks that eventually build art. They also bring quiet, piece, peace and courage. On the other side, enough blue, purple, orange and yellow is an excellent color therapy. Color really is an antidepressant."

I also came across a couple of John O'Donohue quotations this week which I found surprisingly fitting for the artist in me rather than just the spiritual which is his milieu. They really uplifted me, and if you need uplifting in any way, perhaps they will resonate with you as well.

"May you have the wisdom to enter generously into your own unease to discover the new direction your longing wants you to take."

"May I have the courage today to live the life that I would love, to postpone my dream no longer but do at last what I came here for and waste my heart on fear no more" 

And may you have an astounding and fearless and lighthearted week!

3 comments:

Sherrie Spangler said...

What a fun post! I especially liked the Swedish author's talk.

Anonymous said...

Lots of inspiration in your post this week. Company just left so, once things are back in order, I'll watch the video & read Ellen's entire post. Stay cool this week if you're getting the heat we are here! Jan in WY

The Idaho Beauty said...

Glad you enjoyed it Sherrie. Yes, that talk was great, especially since I was expecting a long TED-like talk but got this fun short one instead.

Nice to have you back commenting, Jan. I know how it is with company. We're climbing back into the 90's, small fires breaking out everywhere but none too close, air quality has been pretty good but may change with the direction of the winds. Happy to be inside with the a/c, my knitting and my quilting. :-)