Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Not Much To Share

It's been hot. There was motorcycle racing to watch. I had to drive to the semi-big city yesterday in 100 degree heat. I've gotten hooked on the Smithsonian channel's Air Disaster series, newly discovered by me but in its 20th season so lots of catching up. My lassitude feels typically summer so not too worried as long as it doesn't continue into fall! I think my deck flowers feel the same as they struggle to maintain blooms in this heat. I've finally started on the first sleeve of the sweater knitting project while watching tv that doesn't require full attention; otherwise, creativity a bit stalled. Hand me my iced coffee as I relax with a good book . . .

Helen Wells sent out a video addressing this very thing, how a change in season shifts our energy and can make one want a change in approach. She lists a lot of things she'd like to do in this time, "carving out" a little more space for them in this time when she wants to retreat a bit: "A time to retreat into creativity, a time to replenish, a time to be more introspective...."  She has keyed in on 4 things to consider in how she wants to spend these summer days. 

  • What do I want to START doing?

  • What do I want to STOP doing?

  • What do I want to do LESS of?

  • What do I want to do MORE of?

 I realized that this is what I've been doing for awhile now as I've felt a need to adjust a routine I've fallen into but want to get out of or at least modify. I just haven't written it down in list form as she suggests. There are things I know I want to stop but why is it so difficult to do that? Reading and knitting definitely fall in the do more of, and I have. Am trying to do less on the computer starting with not reading every single thing I come across, doing a better job of "curating" what's important and what doesn't really apply to me or is not new info, letting quick scans gather up what I need to know, passing up things I don't. As for what do I want to start? I'll have to give that more thought. I have so much going on, so many interests I'm already pursuing, I can't imagine starting something new. Then again, maybe I'm looking at that the wrong way. More thought!

You can watch the video here or read the transcript version below it. Let me know what you think. Does any of this resonate with you?


2 comments:

Sherrie Spangler said...

I definitely needed a reset when summer arrived here in Tucson. It's too hot to do much of anything outside, so I retreated into making 8x10 collaged pieces, something new for me. I'm also trying, like you, to not read everything I come across. And I'm trying to exercise more inside since I can't hike until it cools off.

The Idaho Beauty said...

I like where this reset has led you. Instead of slowing down because of the heat, it appears you have gotten back into some things you used to do more of and added something new to it. Watch those brownies I saw on your blog - even with inside exercise, the calories are difficult to use. I should know - my next door neighbor girl has been bringing cookies again; she is too good of a baker!