Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Return to the Fiber Exhibit

Are you ready for some art? I made it back to the winter exhibit this week with fully-charged battery in my camera! As promised, I now share some of the other art and artists in the "Rooted In Fiber" portion of the exhibit (see the first pictures in this post. I'm starting out, though, with another shot of Charlotte Campbell's work, the large rawhide sculpture which looked to be turned differently and with better light on it so you can really see the fabulous image she produces using rawhide. (Remember to click on any photo for a larger view to see details and read information on any gallery cards.


You might remember Vickie Edwards from previous exhibits and posts about my art group. In these two pieces she's added interesting 3-d elements, mounted each piece on a painted canvas and placed the canvases in floater frames.



She adds a lot of hand stitching to her work, including on these pieces a blanket stitch to finish off the edges. So no wrapping around the canvas as I usually do when using this method of framing, but leaving a sliver of light grey of the canvas all around.



Another art group member, Terrie Kremer, shared these three music-themed works. Besides her extensive interest in the fiber arts, Terrie is quite involved in music. Check out the clef quilting around the top one, free-motion quilted without markings to guide her. Yes, I am impressed.

Beginning Point: Triangles by Terrie Kremer

Terrie also entered this piece in the abstract portion of the exhibit. I'm afraid my photo is a little washed out and I've done my best to fix it, but still, the green in this quilt pops a lot, is a very lime green. Called "Beginning Point: Triangles" it began as an experiment in a class or at a retreat (I've forgotten the exact details) and pushed her to cut and add and edit and then quilt with abandon to end up with a really interesting abstract design. I'll be showing you more from the abstract section in a separate post.

Work by Sue Graves

Sue Graves is a quilter I met through exhibiting together at these POAC events, and while she still does more traditional quilting than I do, she enjoys stretching herself a bit with more artistic endeavors and working with hand-dyed fabrics. I'm pretty partial to any design remotely like a mariner compass block, so it's not surprising that her "Supernova" caught my eye. I also liked her simple "Checks and Balances" that played with hand-dye gradations and the quilting on both.


Finally, I share this large and dimensional piece by a most diminutive quilter. I met Joanie Renkert through POAC in my first exhibit with them back in 2008. She really is quite short (well under 5 ft) but her fiber art is always BIG, sometimes bigger than she is (as I suspect this piece is).



She generally works with atypical fabrics, often manipulating them and adding 3-dimensional elements. I knew when I saw this it must be hers - talk about having a voice and recognizable style. She's got that nailed!

Stay tuned for a post of my favorites from the miniatures and abstracts in the Winter Exhibit. 

1 comment:

The Inside Stori said...

What a great exhibit….tx’s for making the effort to capture some of the work in photos!!