Friday, June 26, 2020

1900 Posts and a New Look!

Blogger has been bugging me for years to ditch  the layout I've always had for something newer and snazzier, and I've declined. Once I have something set up the way I like it, I don't care to fiddle with it. But apparently, my very old format will only be available as a "legacy" one, and will be riddled with problems holding it back. I've already started having problems adding photos, and spell check totally went away. So on the eve of my 1900th post I decided to quit fighting it and spend a few hours setting up a new look. What do you think? Of course, very little looks familiar on the page where I create each post, so there will be some stumbling around while I get used to the new symbols and where to find features like "preview". And there may be some things readers can't find as well, as where to post a comment (Just click on "comment" in the bar at the end of the post, whether it says "no comments" or "x number of comments" if you are viewing multiple posts on the home page. If clicking through to an individual post, it's pretty clear what to click.)

So, my 1900th post! I started blogging nearly 15 years ago, and while the number of posts each month have dwindled lately, I still feel compelled to keep at it. I've always done this more for me than any audience I might garner, but the audience was what I hoped would keep me honest and on track. It has proven to be a wonderful record of what is stated in my header, the creative journey I set out on, as well as of my life journey as well. I've always known that what happens outside of the studio will influence what goes on inside it so it is a valid part of the journey to record side by side with the projects worked on.

But periodically, the debate surfaces about the value of blogs in a world of social media catering to those with shorter attention spans and a definite leaning toward the visual rather than the written word. It saddens me that it is so but it hasn't changed my feelings about the value of blogs. And so I was heartened to come across this recently in an Austin Kleon post:

"None of us still blogging do it for clicks.  We do it to leave our traces, because it feels good to us, and because complete statements are better than tweets or facebook updates…."  Warren Ellis

Yes, exactly.

He goes on to talk about "zuihitsu", something I'd never heard of, but I would agree that it fits describing blogging:
Zuihitsu is a genre of Japanese literature consisting of loosely connected personal essays and fragmented ideas that typically respond to the author’s surroundings. The name is derived from two Kanji meaning “at will” and “pen.” The provenance of the term is ultimately Chinese… the native reading of which is fude ni shitagau (“follow the brush”). Thus works of the genre should be considered not as traditionally planned literary pieces but rather as casual or randomly recorded thoughts by the authors.

Specifically, he makes this observation:

"I have long had the notion that zuihitsu is, in fact, the sort of writing that weblog software best enables. That these are not diaries but fragments. Zuihitsu and fragment writing has fascinated me for a long time. I created the jotter category (on LTD) to try and give myself permission for “casual or randomly recorded thoughts.”"

That, I think, is what I've been doing all these years, recording casual and often random thoughts while also imparting what I hope is helpful information. And like Ellis, one other thing, as my actual contact with people outside of the virtual world shrinks:

". . . I still need to be able to send signals out into the world, and it gives me pleasure to be able to draw your attention, reader, to the things in the world that I like."

Always hoping that my readers will like them too.

8 comments:

The Inside Stori said...

You are brave and I guess I’m going to have to try….but the last time I fooled around on the blogger settings I lost my entire online gallery….a nightmare to redo. Any tips on how to safely make the change to their new format….a new is not always better but I guess we won’t have much choice will we?

The Idaho Beauty said...

Yes, Mary, I had your travesty in the forefront of my mind and the first thing I did was to figure out how to back up the entire blog in case I made an error (used the help link at the bottom of the list which told me how to do it). Then I just clicked on "try the new blogger" and found something that was as close to what I already had as I could. Then clicked on Customize and went through the various things I could change to my liking. Crossed fingers and hit the apply button and all seems well.

Sherrie Spangler said...

I really like the new look, especially the soft green. I've been using my blog format for 10 years, so I guess its days are numbered. Not looking forward to having to change it.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Thanks Sherrie. When I found that header background, it pleased me so that it made me feel like the rest would go well and I was on the right track. Not knowing what font I had used in my old header, I auditioned several hoping to find it or something similar. But I always like script so when that popped up, I was in love. To find the soft green which is sort of my signature color as the background color sealed the deal, like not so much was going to have to change.

It encourages me to hear I am not the only one who has been holding on to an old, perhaps original format and not so sure about trusting promised improvements if I just tried them out. Technology tends to move way too fast for me, and in ways I often think are totally unnecessary.

Anonymous said...

Love your new look! Kudos for persevering! Jan in WY

The Idaho Beauty said...

Thanks Jan!

Michele Matucheski said...

I like the new look for your blog. Still green!
Blogger hasn't been bothering me about changing my template -- just the admin side, so I am getting used to the same new things you are. I have to agree with Autin K -- I'm not blogging for clicks or for recognition. It is my archive -- the history of stuff I've made through the years. Or at lest the fragments of ... Even if no one else looks at it, I do. I go back and revisit things from the past, and wish I'd started it even earlier, because I don't have a record of earlier pieces.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Thanks Michele! Yup, I simply cannot give up my green - lol. I feel the same as you, wishing I'd started a tad earlier and going back often to old posts for a number of reasons. It's easy to forget the amazing things we've tried and accomplished over the years.