Saturday, June 13, 2020

A Masks Saga


It's been a few weeks since I reported my first frustrating effort at making a pandemic face mask. I didn't show you the end result of that one, only told you that the ties weren't working as well as I thought they would and that I wasn't happy with the results overall, not to mention the directions. I'd chosen a very tight weave hand-dye for outside and inside (this pattern didn't suggest adding a third layer of any kind), and yes, I spent quite a bit of time picking just the right fabrics. It was difficult to sew through, especially over the extra layers of the pleats and the binding.


You can see in this picture that there are pleats along the bottom and a dart at the top to aid in a nice tight fit. But the instructions were often confusing or lacking in detail, the binding too wide in my opinion and thus the ties didn't tie very well. I chose this because it is a "pattern made by a nurse for a nurse" and is suppose to fit over a regular dust mask type mask to give it a higher filtration rate and re-usability. It didn't say in the directions how to add a metal nose piece although it was in the materials list, and in a cute gif at the end, the nurse pattern maker herself reaches up with finger and thumb to close down the metal for a tight fit. My mind has been churning ever since about how I could improve upon the basic pattern, and also how to salvage this one. Things that have come to mind are: 1) cutting the ties shorter and attaching velcro at the ends, 2) cutting the ties even shorter and sewing a piece of elastic between the ends, and 3) cutting the ties off at the mask and inserting elastic for over the ears style. 


Since then, I've re-watched a few videos plus found a few different ones, re-read some instructions, and took notes on the two I wanted to try. I also studied the pollen mask that is relatively simple in design and fits me well. I gathered some supplies, including two kinds of elastic bought for use as closures for journals and books, plastic covered twist ties and collar stays. Yes, collar stays, from the days when I made shirts for my late husband with the extra long arms. With renewed confidence but feeling more intimidated than I'd like to admit, I gave it another go.

basic 3-fold pleated mask

As I suffered through the first mask, I kept wondering why we weren't sewing around the outside and doing a pillow turn to encase raw edges rather than messing with that binding. I was relieved to find a very basic and well-instructed video that had me doing just that. It was almost identical to the specifications laid out by my local hospital. The only difference was the hospital did not want a third layer of any kind and preferred tube elastic to flat elastic. I used the same fabric front and inside, cutting the "no sew" mask fabric with the interfacing fused to it for the layer that these directions had you sew a rectangle of flannel to and cutting another piece of it for the outside (I had plenty). Pretty easy peasy, but not without drama. I literally got hung up at those corners where the elastic is inserted, my machine balking at feeding the fabric through after turning the corner.

Incognito
But I persisted, choosing to leave out any metal nose piece, and am pleased with the fit. How much of the virus it's actually filtering out I would not hazard a guess. But it is comfortable, pretty, and makes me feel a little safer. I had to spend 3 hours at the dealership last week while my car got serviced, new tires and an airbag recall dealt with, and while the lounge area is open to the showroom with high ceilings, and "my" high table in the corner away from the cushy chairs was available, I definitely felt better about my time there peering out from behind my mask.

Pleated mask with filter pocket
Another pattern that intrigued me was made from a single piece of fabric, raw edges at the long sides folded about 3/8 of an inch to the inside once, and folded over that much twice at the short ends to form a casing of sorts. Top stitch the casing edges, inserting the metal piece in one end's casing, bring the short ends together right side out, pin in your pleats and stitch up each side, remembering to insert the elastic at top and bottom. No turning inside out, and the top of the mask can be separated to insert your filter of choice. I worked a piece of flannel in mine. I've been wearing this one when I do my weekly grocery run and I find that flannel insert does make it both heavier and warmer than the the other pleated one with just interfacing. Also, this one is not quite as wide across the face, and I think if I were to make it again, I'd change the dimensions to more closely match either of the other masks. Bonus if you recognize the fabric!


So now I had two working masks, but couldn't get the idea of creating one like my pollen mask off my mind. I traced off a pattern, again after close examination to figure out just how the original was constructed, chose this great aboriginal print picked up for me by my cousin on one of her adventures, and got to cutting. Top, left and bottom-left seams are done pillow-turn style while the opposite seams are sewn conventionally after turning.


This mask is two layers with the inside layer being flannel. The nose piece is under that piece of bias binding and the collar stay is in the "casing" of the seam that runs down the front, both being the last steps. I was relieved that my sewing machine glided perfectly over the elastic at the corners, perhaps because it was able to get a good grip on the flannel which was next to the feed dogs.


Not a bad clone, fitting pretty much just like the pollen mask it is based on. And a bit of a fashion statement perhaps? The stay in the front seam is to keep it from collapsing, which is perhaps more of an issue with the lighter silk pollen mask.


But just like the pollen mask, it sticks straight out from the face, giving you lots of breathing space in there, and looking a bit weird in my estimation. Not as weird as the duckbill masks, but not sleek like most none pleated styles. It would be easy to adjust that should I decide I'd like a closer fit.

I imagine I will make more, trying different variations of these particular masks, tweaking the patterns where I found them lacking and having fun choosing fabric from my stash so that, like Nancy Pelosi, I have a mask to match what I'm wearing. This is just me and my gerbil mind that can't quit going over and over how to do this better (Oooo - there's one with two pleats folded in opposite directions!) and thinking about using up fabric. But I'm not in the least enamored with this kind of project generally speaking, and I have no desire to go into production, either charitable or for profit. And while I, a seasoned sewer with garments and home dec and quilting experience to my name, struggled to figure out instructions and fought with my machine, I could only feel pity for those overworked and stressed nurses who were told to go home after a long emotional shift (or more likely string of those shifts) and make their own masks, when I'm sure all they wanted to do and could muster was to fall into bed. I'm glad so many have answered the call to do the sewing for them.

And as I get ready to straighten up from this foray into mask making, I find myself asking, can I get back to my regular sewing and some bookmaking now? ;-) 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's important to have a functional comfortable mask! Your's are stylish, too! There is a group in our area, Rosies of the Sewing World, who have produced thousands of masks, PPE & caps for medical personnel & anyone who needs them. Their efforts have been helpful to so many in our community & beyond. They donate to businesses, offices & groups with no questions asked. I've made masks for friends & family, but nothing on the scale of what the 'Rosies' have done! Stay well! Jan in WY

Sherrie Spangler said...

I used 1-inch strips of an old t-shirt for ear loops. When you give a tug, the strips curl into a tube and it's much more comfortable than elastic. And I used a twist tie from the produce department to shape the top. Love that primitive print.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Jan, bless those ladies doing all that sewing. I did ask my brothers if they needed me to make them any and they were getting well supplied through their workplaces, even for family members. And no other family member or friend has asked, to my relief!

Sherrie, I recently watched a video demoing how to make those t-shirt ties and it does indeed look easy and like it would be comfortable. I haven't looked yet to see if I have any t-shirts I'm willing to sacrifice. I have plenty of that rope-style elastic (my pollen mask came with that style and for the short periods that I wear a mask of any kind, it doesn't seem to bother my ears), and am enjoying having the different colors to choose from. My nose piece inserts are twist ties where the wire is encased in plastic rather than paper which is the kind I have the most saved of from the produce aisle. I figured the plastic would be better than the paper when it came to washing the masks. I'm not sure where those plastic covered ones came from but they are grouped in a flat sheet where you pull them apart one by one, but I can also pull off two together, the perfect width and plenty strong to keep their shape over the nose. I figured you'd like that fabric! I only have a fat quarter or I'd share. :-)

The Inside Stori said...

You look very stylish in your masks……the restrictions may be getting less strict, but as long as mask wearing is considered necessary you won’t see me out and about unless it’s absolutely necessary. I really, really dislike wearing a mask….

Michele Matucheski said...

I see you did embark on the mask-making. Funny how our minds work! I was making adjustments and improvements to the various patters I was finding too. I discovered that a bead works well (and it's a quick cinch) for those long ties (if you kept them). Not my favorite kind of sewing either. But now that I want to be quilting again -- It's just too darn hot to be in the sewing studio. No air conditioning here. But I am getting to the point where NOT having it is cutting into too much of my creative time.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Michele, thanks for the suggestion of using a bead to cinch up ties. Not sure I have one with a big enough hole to stuff those thick ties through but I am going to search through my stash. I just recently saw where someone had the idea to use cord toggles which she got off Amazon (where else these days?), ones small enough to use to cinch t-shirt ties behind the ear. Personally, I was surprised she found them comfortable. I would have thought that toggle would rub against your skull. But it would solve the issue of getting elastic or t-shirt strings the right length for a snug fit. I sure appreciated you posting about your mask research and the resulting pros and cons and fixes for each you tried. It really helped in my own choosing of what to try.