Sunday, June 07, 2020

Plants and Mushrooms

Several weeks ago, I took advantage of a wee sale to gather some plants for my deck garden. Inertia and the mosquitoes that instantly gathered round me whenever I stepped out on the deck have kept me from getting them into the various pots and planters awaiting. It was enough to finally have some color out there that I could enjoy as I passed by the slider.



The blooms of one plant in particular - I can't think of the name off the top of my head, but I think it's some sort of daisy - surprised me with an underside so much darker than the pale lavender of the petals as seen opened. It also has a very blue center. And it apparently does not like cold weather - I just stepped outside on this much cooler day than we've been having, and all the blooms have closed up!

 
A friend chided me when she heard I'd bought plants but not transplanted them yet, saying that they would get root bound and not do as well as they would if I quit putting this off. I knew she was right, because I'd noticed several of the plants were already sending roots out the bottom of their containers when I bought them. It's getting late for planting seeds as well, packets of which lay waiting on the table. So in a burst of motivation last Thursday, the plants got distributed along with some seeds. I'm looking forward to seeing how well the seeds do - some basil, a packet of assorted bee-friendly plants, multi colors of dahlias, perennial violas. All will be welcome in my little corner of color.


Also last week, I came across this grouping of mushrooms at the far end of the park along my walking route. I don't remember seeing mushrooms in this particular spot before, and as I got closer, I couldn't believe what was going on along the tops of them.


A nature artist that I follow sends out weekly prompts, ideas for sketching while you're out in nature. Last week it was to look for pattern, like stripes in rocks, texture in tree bark, that kind of thing. I had to think this qualified!


I didn't have a sketchbook with me but I did have my phone with camera so got several shots.


I kept thinking, what a treasure trove of pattern ideas for my textile work.


So the photos are for reference of something so fleeting that it was gone in a few days, and I must get to sketching these and playing with the lines and shapes.

Where have YOU spotted patterns lately that might inspire your work?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those mushrooms are beautiful! It's easy to see why you're inspired to sketch them! Lately, the angle of the sun coming through horizontal blinds, then passing through vertical headboard posts onto the sheets catches my eye. It's a fun 'checkerboard' pattern that seems to sparkle! Stay well! Jan in WY

Sherrie Spangler said...

I'm as guilty as you about buying flowers and then waiting forever to transplant them. But they still are cheerful in their little containers!

The Inside Stori said...

I’ve never seen mushrooms like those…….great subject matter. Your plants are lovely…..isn’t it great how some colorful blooms can put a smile on our faces!?!

Michele Matucheski said...

Interesting patterns on those mushrooms! I'm thinking it would make a cool stamping tool (I don't think you could use the mushroom themselves, but you could transfer the pattern to something sturdier.)

The Idaho Beauty said...

Michele, what a great idea of what to do with these unusual designs. No, these were too fragile and on their way out to think about bringing home - pictures would have to suffice as reference for sketching them out. But what to do with the sketches? Making stamps from them is a great idea!