Thursday, July 09, 2020

A Little Company

Shortly after I put flowers in my deck pots and arranged them, I notice this nearly white spider racing between the far pot on the right and the longer pot next to it. Not sure I remember seeing such a spider, more used to the typical array of black spiders big and small that hang about. It's been nice enough these past weeks to spend some deck time reading, and I'd occasionally spot this spider hanging out with the red flowers, or racing about. But this particular day, I looked up from my book and saw this. It was perched on this tall leaf nearly at eye level as if checking me out.


Well, this was too good, that it seemed it was going to sit still for a bit, so I grabbed my camera. However, it seemed a bit camera shy. It was definitely watching me as I leaned in, and moved mostly out of sight.


I followed, getting off the deck only to see it smoothly move under the leaf, and back on top in concert with my every move.


Eventually, it decided I meant no harm and got back to work, letting me get very close with my lens.


I have since learned that this is a crab spider, and I can see why, as it stretched and contracted and waved about those longest legs out front.


I'd say this spider is no more than 3/4 inches long, if that, and has very distinctive markings. It was a joy to watch and get many photos of - click on any for a larger view.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an interesting spider! It's very photogenic & you got some great shots! It's nice you can get some reading time out on the deck after being indoors for many. months! Stay well! Jan in WY

Jeannie said...

I love your little spider, especially its face. Talk about ruby red lipstick. I am a spider watcher. I realize that the spiders that have taken up residence in the same spots year after year are not the same spider - Charolotte's Web taught me that much. I have a couple that live under the sill over the kitchen sink. They drop down when I'm washing dishes - itty bitty spiders. I noticed that we do not have fruit flies any more thanks to this duo. They have been there for over 20 years, so I don't know what generation this is. The only spiders I don't allow in the house are the Black Widows. They are dispatched to the great web in the sky. Thanks for sharing your spider.

Michele Matucheski said...

Did you name her Charolotte?

The Inside Stori said...

A little creepy but beautiful photographs!!!