Sunday, July 05, 2020

Holding On To The Memory

Courting in 1974
My husband-to-be and I met midway through college. That man set his sights on me and pursued me for weeks and weeks following a band tour, but could never find me in my dorm room. I was off chasing down a couple of other guys from the band who I'd set my sights on prior to that tour. But they ended up not being as enamored with me as this guy who persisted until I finally gave him a chance. And boy, am I glad I did. We always loved this photo, taken by a friend of ours who was taking a photography class so always had her camera nearby. She printed an enlargement and had it framed to give to us, the joke being poor Allen, she's not going to let him get away when in truth, it had started the other way around.

Hard to believe he's been gone twenty years now, and while some memories may have faded, I have to believe the most important ones have not. I cherish this anniversary of the day he went to a greater reward, a day to pause and pull up as many of those memories as I can, to smile, to enjoy thoughts of the many things we did together, shared, and how much we meant to each other. Truth be told, I'm a little glad he is not having to live through this current health crisis, the lockdowns, the stay at home orders, the possible uncertainty of continuing to make a living, the risks of being in a certain group more apt to be infected. As someone who had a hard time sitting still, who always had to be doing something, and who often pushed against limitations, he'd no doubt be going a little crazy, and driving me a little crazy too! But I'd probably take that craziness to be able to go through this tough time with him for company and support. But for now, memory will suffice.

6 comments:

Susan Sawatzky said...

Many people don't understand that it really doesn't get easier, you just become used to not having them around....but easier? no way

The Idaho Beauty said...

You of all people certainly know, Susan. Thanks for your understanding. :-)

Michele Matucheski said...

Love.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post today. And, what a great photo! You will always have those wonderful memories. I asked my Idaho friend when we texted this morning if she's seen you yet. Sadly, no, thanks to this miserable virus. We're thinking of you! Jan in WY

The Idaho Beauty said...

:-) Michele . . .

Thanks Jan - obviously, one of my favorites that always brings a smile and yes, lots of wonderful memories. As for our mutual friend, I keep telling myself I must call and then don't get around to it. I know she has been literally knee deep in getting the place back up to snuff after being absent for so long but she did let us know they made it through the mandatory 14 day self-quarantine virus free. I'm just loathe to take any risks, but keep thinking we might mask up and try an outdoor session at one of our houses soon. But you just know we will want to lean in and show what we've been up to. Oh well - it won't be forever. :-)

The Inside Stori said...

Heartwarming post!