Saturday, July 25, 2020

Tiny Details

It's almost always worth taking a closer look at things. I don't know how I missed those tiny dots at the center at this almost 4 inch daisy bloom, but I did for quite awhile, until I was bending down close for some other reason. I immediately thought "french knots", and if I were rendering this in fabric, that is exactly how I would render these. We miss a lot from afar - even a short afar.


Many of the plants in my deck garden have quite small blooms, anywhere from a half inch to an inch. Yet they pack a lot of detail into that small space. A close look at this dianthus bloom reveals delicate spiraling stamens and petals dusted in pollen.


And although this version is more delicate in color, a close look exposes veins in the stain of pink and equally graceful stamens. Both of these have blooms about an inch and a quarter to an inch and a half across.


I forget the name of this one but it has some of the tiniest blooms, less than an inch and looking the typical petaled bloom. And yet, look at what's going on in the center - so much! It's as if a beader had gotten busy on it.


Even fading blooms from this plant demand a closer look as you can see; those tight little balls in the center have opened up to release pollen. Think chenille thread. Color may be fading but the petals maintain their crease definitions.


This is a much larger bloom, from 3 to 4 inches, from yet another variety of daisy. What has fascinated me about it is its large domed center. What is going on there in that tangle?


It doesn't get any clearer as the flower fades.


Since leaving it on the plant day after day has not changed its appearance much nor revealed its secrets, I guess I would have to tease it apart to really understand its structure, but I haven't tried that yet.

5 comments:

Sherrie Spangler said...

I love how your mind looks at these flowers and goes to thread and beads!

Anonymous said...

I like the way you visualize parts of the flowers as embellishments! Let us know if you take a peek inside that last bloom's center! Stay well! Jan in WY

bj parady said...

So, if you want the scientific explanation of what's going on, the daisy is a member of the Composite family of plants. So called because each 'flower' is actually a composite of many flowers forming the structure. Usually there are two types of flowers--the ones on the rays and the ones forming the center. They often are ready for fertilization at different times and by different means (some self fertilize, others depend on insects). Now this particular bloom may have been so hybridized that it's actually sterile, or that the seeds won't grow 'true'.

And so having a degree in botany helps once in a while.

The Inside Stori said...

I enjoyed the summer flower show!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Jan and Sherrie, I too like the fact that my thoughts went to embellishments. Kinda verified that I hadn't gone brain dead in that department in spite of being away from that sort of thing for so long. ;-)

Mary, delighted that you enjoyed the show. It looks lovely around your house as well, according to your latest post. :-)

BJ, thanks so much for enlightening us. Expert commentary always welcomed and I truly did not know (or remember that I may have once known) this information.